Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What Foods Are Your Country Known for?    

What Foods Are Your Country Known for?

Zora
Canada

All of those dishes sound delicious. I am huge on comfort foods and the English potato hash and toad in the hole are both yummy.
 I �ve also tried Portuguese feijoada which is, I think, quite similar to the Brazilian one ... except for the oranges!! I �ve never heard of that. Are the oranges cooked along with it too, s.lefevre??? 

Now, I think barbecued meat and fish is such a wonderful thing, and it seems like almost every country in the world will fight to the death to tell you theirs is the best!  Maybe we should try to unite the world through barbecue!! lol

20 Aug 2017     

joannajs
Poland

The tradition goes that Poles welcome guests with bread (apparently pretty good) and salt. But the dishes we think we are famous for are:
1. pierogi (dumplings) with all kinds of fillings from sweet (made from sweetened quark similar to Philadelphia Cheese or fruit like blueberries or strawberries - served with cream) to savory - which can be boiled or boiled and fried later ( with meat, mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese, or the X-mas variety - sourkraut ad wild mushrooms  )
2. kielbasa (sausage) - smoked, dried /or not, with all sorts of natural spices like laurel and juniper. A mouthwatering experience...
3. vodka - it seems we have quite a variety of really good stuff. A really special thing is Zubrowka (Bison/Buffalo Vodka - heaven only knows how it gets translated abroad) which contains aromatic grass from the pastures where the only wild preserved buffalos graze. 

20 Aug 2017     

james32
Morocco

Have you ever tried this dish? What �s its name?

20 Aug 2017     

lili62
Argentina

Hello everyone! I �m from Argentina and we have many traditional dishes. One of the most famous ones is the LOCRO, a kind of stew. It is creamy and slightly sweet due to the pumpink it is prepared with. It also contains meat, corn, zucchini, potatoes, onions, garlic, leek, smoked bacon, red sausages and butter beans. Optionally it can contain pig feet. It is flavoured with paprika what makes it spicy and colourful.  The locro is served very hot and in pots (preferably of clay to conserve the heat) and it can be accompanied by slices of crusty bread. It is really delicious and something you must try if you come to Argentina. 

20 Aug 2017     

Schantony
China

I have enjoyed a wide varity of foods in different countries. Sounds yummy. I didn �t have  a chance to taste them, though. I am in China. And for this topic, there are so many different kinds of food in China. So I am going to just tell you about the food famous in where i live, Wuhan, China. The hot dry noodles(热干面) are quite popular around people in Wuhan and people who ever have a chance to visit Wuhan. It is made of noodles and specially made sausage. People usually eat it in the morning and most importantly it is very cheap. So if you ever have a chance to go to Wuhan, I strongly suggest you taste it. 

20 Aug 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Zora, you started something! I �ve been reading all the posts and my mouth is watering. How long till lunch time??

Let me give you a recipe  for a typical dessert from Southern Spain. Its unpronounceable name is "paparajotes", meaning... ? Nobody knows!

Take a few leaves from your lemon tree, wash them clean, dip them in flour & egg dough and deep fry them in olive oil. Spread sugar & cinnamon over them. Serve hot.

The lemon tree leaves are not to be eaten, but they add a peculiar flavour to this unusual dish. You have to try it!

Regards... 

20 Aug 2017     

medderraz
Morocco

Hello everyone, 
    Hope you �re having a great time & enjoying your best "national" local dishes !!  & to be true, Zora you �ve started a really controversial & subjective topic ! It seems that the best dish or food is the one that you like best !! As simple as that ! 
   Now, what can I say about our Moroccan best dishes ? .. Thank you james32 for bringing to my mind a typical national - & now maybe international - dish which is COUSCOUS, & who doesn �t know couscous ?!
    However, my mouth started watering as I remembered that I haven �t had it for a couple of weeks !   
     It �s made of steamed wheat grains (Semolina) with or without meat (i,e, chicken, lamb or mutton ) , served with one or several types of vegetables & stew .. (for more information you can see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous)
   Couscous is usually served on Friday ; a holy day for Muslim Moroccans. Neverthless, it can be served & eaten at any other day or time !  

I need to eat something now & stop talking too much ! have a nice time & delicious dishes ! 
 Regards, 

21 Aug 2017     

Zora
Canada

Wow! All the yummy foods! Some of them I �ve heard of, others like locro or parajotes are new to me. My brother-in-law is from Valencia, I will have to ask him about the lemon leaves. 😃Oh, and pierogis and kielbasa are super popular in Canada. I think it �s because all the Polish immigrants brought their delicious homemade recipes with them. 😉

21 Aug 2017     

Mariya-ye
Russian Federation

Hello. In Russia we like eating pelemni, bliny ( pancakes), pies, borshch, holodetz ( jelly meat) and apple paste candy.

22 Aug 2017     

Zora
Canada

I love borsch! I love beets in general! 

22 Aug 2017     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >