Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A message to all students    

A message to all students

franknbea
United Kingdom

A message to all students

A message to all students about to embark on a new school year
Whether this is first time at school, your first time at a new school, or you’re an old timer returning for yet another turn around the sun, there are a few things you should be mindful of before you begin.
1. Start with a positive attitude. No matter how intelligent you are, how much talent you have, or how charismatic you can be in front of others, having a positive attitude will help you out of more jams than any other single thing. It is difficult to argue with a positive person, it is almost impossible to bully a person with a positive attitude. It is hard to tell a person off if they have a positive attitude. So, remember that next time you forget to do your homework. Have a positive attitude from the start and you will end up in hot water a lot less times.
2. As you walk into whatever institute of learning you are going to call your second home for the next two semesters, please remember your teachers. Don’t wait until Christmas, or teacher appreciation day to come around to show them your gratitude. If they were your teacher before then thank them for what they have done for you so far, tell them that you know more now than you did before you met them, that you have grown as a student and as a person under their tutelage. If you have never met them before, then tell them that you expect them to treat you fairly and guide you through the year in the same way that would have wanted to be treated and guided. That you will give your best throughout the year, and in turn expect them to do their best. Tell them that if they need your help for anything at any time, you are willing to give it as long as it is not you all the time, because that will look weird.
3. In school, don’t forget those faceless and nameless individuals that make your scholastic day possible. Janitors, cooks, clerical workers. Any one of these people is deserved of your respect and politeness, most of all they deserve your help. How can you help them? Simple, clean up after yourself, don’t write crap on the walls of the crapper, eat what you served for lunch, or at least don’t call it shit in the cook’s presence, and if you get called to the office at any time, don’t make the secretary’s life a misery by forgetting the papers she asked you to bring, or trying to sit on the printer with your pants down to make lewd photocopies of your lower parts.
4. Enjoy the year for goodness sake. School is not meant to be a prison. These are the best years of your life, (difficult, I know, but the best nonetheless), make the best of them. If years after you finish school you don’t remember a single good day from school, or you would never go back, no matter how short a time for, then you won’t have followed a single line of my advice. Feel free to ignore what is written here. Be your own self, if you know a better way then use it, but be genuine, be true to yourself and others and you won’t go far wrong. Good Luck, be the best that you can be.
5. And lastly a special message for bullies, whether pre-existing or about to be bullies, watch out! Because we are coming to get you, pretty soon you will have no place left to hide. You will not be able to carry out your vile deeds and expect to go unpunished. The world tolerance of bullies is at an all-time low. You will be stopped, sooner or later, you can be sure of that.
Stones and sticks may get you kicks, but we are wise and we will rise!

2 Sep 2017      

morenopalomares
Spain

I appreciate your heart-felt words and they will be my ally all year long.

I wish you the best and hope you are doing well.

María 

2 Sep 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wise and well thought out words, Frank. I hope they will be shared and heeded. 

I hope you are doing well.

All the very best. 

Lynne  

3 Sep 2017     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I like your appeal to students very much, it made me think about my own words to students on the first day. 
Thank you very much for your positive attitude to life!

3 Sep 2017     

england
Argentina

Thanks for your wise words. 

3 Sep 2017     

traute
Spain

Excellent message. I will get my students to read it aloud.

Thanks a lot for sharing  

4 Sep 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Thank you Frank.

Also a good opportunity to remind members about our e-book that we made, available for purchase on Amazon.

Frank co-ordinated this project, with all proceeds to go to charity (like with the previous book).

This is an excellent resource with contributions by many members here.

If you are interested, search Amazon for Inner Giant ed. by Frank Letras. There are two editions.

Inner Giant by [Letras, Frank] 

6 Sep 2017