Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffinition word of the day 09 10 2017    

Daffinition word of the day 09 10 2017

maryse pey�
France

Daffinition word of the day 09 10 2017

Thanks a million dear Lynne to have chosen my crazy daffinition.

Here is my word : HABERGEON

The more foolish the better !

But please In English your silly daffinition : I don �t speak German ! Thanks a lot.

Many hugs from a mug of beer... Hips !

Maryse. 

9 Oct 2017      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Habergeon is the natural habitat of a surgeon.

9 Oct 2017     

jfaraujo
Portugal

Habergeon is an English word of French origin which means to take shelter in a dungeon.

9 Oct 2017     

MoodyMoody
United States

A habergeon is a person who works at a haberdashery repairing hats, like a surgeon repairs bodies. This word is obsolescent because hats for men (other than baseball caps) are obsolescent.

9 Oct 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A habergeon is a person who walks around town holding a rhomboid shape. The bigger the shape, the happier the habergeon is. Nobody knows what pushes habergeons to go about habergeoning, but, hey, loosen up, it takes all sorts to make the world go round! 

10 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

HABERGEON.

What a pity, Cunliffe!

You were SO CLOSE to the correct answer.

But, unfortunately, your Geometry let you down. A �Rhombus �, as every schoolboy knows, is an Italian vehicle, with six flat tyres.

The TRUE definition of �Habergeon � derives from the ancient Scandiwegian Language, Norse.

Shakespeare was familiar with the language: "A Norse, a Norse! my kingdom for a Norse!" 

A Norsious translation of �Habergeon � is:
�Hab � = The Imperative Interrogative �Have you? �; �er � = The unstressed, schwa-like, Indefinite Determiner �a �; and �geon � = derived from Early American Norse,  �john � (Toilet).
"Have you a toilet?" 

So, Lynne Cunliffe, your poor hapless individual, is a traveller hurriedly seeking a convenient toilet ... hence the word �Convenience �.

Incidentally:

"It takes Allsorts to make a packet of Bassetts!"

Les Douglas 

11 Oct 2017