Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > a tiny detail of the passive voice    

a tiny detail of the passive voice

hheyitsme
Tunisia

a tiny detail of the passive voice

Hey fellow teachers,

I am doing DELTA module 2 and I stumbled upon a tiny detail of the passive voice my tutor pointed out for me. Based on the literature I am (Swan, 2005):  We want to put heavier and longer expressions at the end of the sentence. 

Example: I was woken up by a disturbing, deafening, scary noise. ( a disturbing, deafening, scary noise is the long expression we put at the end of the sentence) 

My /my tutor �s question is: why do we want to put the main, heavy info at the end of the sentence and where is this used? 
(would this answer be ok: we use it to emphasize how important this piece of news is and it is used in academic text (if this is ok, where can I find supporting literature) 
Unfortunately Swan doesn �t mention anything about these questions :(

Cheers,

18 Oct 2017      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear hheyitsme,

�A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language�, 2010, by Professors Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech, Svartvik, and Crystal.

They devote the whole of Chapter 18, 18.1-18.59, pages 1351 � 1419, to �Theme, Focus, and Information processing�.

In 18.1, 1355, they refer to �� constructing a message: � so as to achieve the desired result. This means studying the devices by which we lead our hearer/reader to recognise unmistakably the piece of information that we see as the highlight of the message, at the same time providing enough additional material to ensure that the message is complete.�

18.8, 1360-1361, the writers refer to �given� information, (information already supplied by the previous linguistic context), followed by �new information�, (information which has not previously been supplied.)

�When we construct a message, it is a courtesy to the receiver, as well as a convenience for ourselves, to provide the point of the message with enough context for this point to be both clearly identified and unambiguously understood, as well as being placed in a normal linguistic framework�.

In my opinion, it is somewhat like a Question and an Answer.

First part, (�Given Information�), �I was woken up!� But, I have a Question: �What woke me up?�

Second part: (�New Information�), the Answer to your Question is: �A disturbing, scary, deafening noise!�

18.9, 1361, �� the new information is �the focus� of the message � so we can regard focus � as most neutrally and normally placed at the end of the information unit�

�Since the new information often needs to be stated more fully than the given, (that is, with a longer �heavier� structure), it is not unexpected that an organization principle which may be called END-WEIGHT comes into operation along with the principle of end-focus.�

18.13, 1366, �More broadly, � nouns generally convey more information than verbs�.

Communication is the absolute basis of language.
Let us imagine that �X� wishes to communicate a message to �Z�.

A skilled speaker/writer will convey the message:
By keeping the number of words to a minimum.
By using words whose effect is maximum.
And by arranging words whose meanings cannot be mistaken.

How can �X� do this?

�X� must focus the attention of �Z� on the most important words in the message: the centre, the heart, the nucleus of the message. This can be done in several ways, which, when combined can make the message powerful and emotive.

In speaking, obviously, the voice can be varied in pitch, tone, and stress to convey different emotions.
But, in writing, other tactics must be used: careful choice of words, repetition, use of figures of speech, etc.

However, one of the most effective methods, is to construct the piece of information so that the highlight of the message comes at the end.

�Give me liberty, or give me death!�
�To write with a broken pencil is pointless!�
�Dogs have masters. Cats have staff!�

A comedian tells the funniest joke at the end of the performance.
A chef serves a fantastic dessert at the end of a lovely meal.
A singer sings the best song at the end of the concert.
An athlete runs a lap of honour at the end of a race.
A speaker has a punch-line at the end of a speech.

In the words of the theatre � �Keep the best bit till last!�

Why?

Because we remember, vividly, any significant emotional experience!
It remains FIXED in our mind!

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas

18 Oct 2017     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Thanks a million Les for this, I will include the explanation and the professor you mentioned in my background essay.. God bless :)

19 Oct 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

To add to Les�s fairly comprehensive answer, there are a few other grammar books which deal with what some grammarians refer to as the �The Principle of End Weight�, which "stipulates that �heavy� constituents, in the sense of units containing many words, tend to be placed at the end of a message" (Bas Aarts). This tends to be regulated by displacements to the right (postposing, extraposition etc) and, of course, you can see it in passivization where the new information comes at the end, making it more focal.
You�ll find a discussion of this as part of the chapter on information structuring in Professor Aarts� Oxford Modern English Grammar (2001)

There are several other modern grammars I can recommend which deal with this type of information packaging.

Biber, Conrad & Leech: Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English (2002) � particularly the chapters dealing with word order choices and the �information-flow principle� (specifically �the use of the long passive across registers�) 

Huddleston & Pullum: A Student�s Introduction to English Grammar (2005) � especially Chapter 15 (�Information packaging in the clause�)

19 Oct 2017     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Thanks a million Les for this, I will include the explanation and the professor you mentioned in my background essay.. God bless :)

19 Oct 2017     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

@almaz: Thanks a bunch for the addition :)

19 Oct 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

My peasure. I meant to add part of the entry on �weight� from Biber et al, since it helps clarify the reasoning behind the end-weight principle. The authors explain that the placement of heavier elements towards the end of the clause "helps hearers and readers to follow the message more easily, because they do not have to keep in their mind complex information from the beginning of the clause as they reach the end of the clause. Many heavy elements also contain a large amount of new information. The information-flow principle and end-weight principle therefore often reinforce one another".

19 Oct 2017     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

@almaz: Thanks a bunch for the addition :)

19 Oct 2017