Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New word for crazy daffinitions (09 12 2017)    

New word for crazy daffinitions (09 12 2017)

maryse pey�
France

New word for crazy daffinitions (09 12 2017)

Thanks a bunch dear Giorgi and Oudini, told by himself that he is a true magician) thanks you too.

He is finally recognized in the noble world !!! What a triumph for him ! He decided to invite you (as the only VIP) to his next show in his dentist �s castle, will you come ?

Well, now for your witty, simple, honorific, fizzy ... new daffinitions here is my word :PETRICHOR.

Please dear future participants make us laugh ! My tears are ready !

9 Dec 2017      

spied-d-aignel
France

Hi
So a petrichor  is a person who  hasn �t got much money but is  very rich , more than rich  of all the love he/ she gets from his/ her beloved pets  PET - RICH - OR   from Louis De Dunes famous words in the film � La Folie des grandeurs �: Il est l �or ..........

10 Dec 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Au contraire, ma belle Syvie, it �s a very negative word. It describes a pupil who steals the Petri dish from your science lab. He (I �m afraid it �s usually a boy) steals the Petri dishes and hoards them under his bed. Strange behaviour, but... kids nowadays, eh? 

Petri = geeky German who invented a small dish. Chor = thief (British Geordie). It can be used as a verb by the way.
�Gawd help me, � exclaimed Mr Watson the Chemistry teacher on discovering his empty equipment cupboard, �I �ve been petrichored again! �  

10 Dec 2017     

douglas
United States

Actually, Lyne is close with her petri-dish; however, it doesn�t have to do with a "hoarder of dishes", but with the contents of these dishes.

When an inattentive  lab student given the responsibilty  of sterilzing petri-dishes and filling them with the necessary gelatin for growing cultures of ever-so important viruses, creatures, molds and what-not, fails to ensure the sterility of this gelatin before packing the dishes away for future use by the professor and his highly-important eyxperiments, the dishes tend to collect their own bacteria and promote rapid procreation by said bacteria.

When the professor opens one of these petri-dishes to collect his oh-so important samples:

The bacterial offspring sing out in a high tone of  joy: "We are here!".

The professor reponds with  a louder, but lower tone: "who prepared these petri-dishes?"

The lab student shouts like an opera singer belting out a solo:  "Nooo! My grade!! Mea Kulpa Mea Kulpa!"

and the rest of the lab students add a choir of:  "Ohhh!  You�re going to get it! Oh you�re in so much trouble! Oh! I �m glad it wasn�t me!."

And thus you have created a choir (German: Chor) from a simple petri dish; a petrichor

12 Dec 2017     

agagug
Canada

"Petrichor" is the curse a newly dad utters once he is done gagging when changing a diaper full of ...

12 Dec 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

No chemistry or lab equipment involved here, I am surprised at the suggestions! I �ve been coming across this phrase, or exclamation, to be more precise,  in historical manuscripts.

Back in the dark medieval ages, when this term originated, people were illiterate and had problems with spelling, their main occupation was fighting in various battles and in order to intimidate enemies they used various phrases/shouts/exclamations. This is a wrathful exclamation, uttered by someone who found a guy fleeing the battlefield.  

It was thought a disgrace if you fled your butt from the battlefield, so, more often than not, when you thought you had made it to safety by sneaking out of the battlefield leaving behind the hordes of blood-thirsty foes, someone would loom over you yelling:

"PETRICHOR!"

In modern English one would transcribe this as:

"Pee, Treachery!" or "Pee, Traitor!"

12 Dec 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Well, petrichor is the base form of petrichorial, a substitute for a well known UK English term.

Petrichor is an anagram of chiropter, something most of us don �t really like when we see one in real life, especially a colony of them, and especially at night when they are active (BUT, we do like the pretend ones at Halloween.).  When we do hear them at night, in the trees, partying in their colony, sqealing and swinging around upside down, or flying in their masses up high, especially in front of  a full moon, they drive us simply simply petrichorial as we using British English would say.

12 Dec 2017