Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Idiom needed :)    

Idiom needed :)

ninon100
Russian Federation

Idiom needed :)

Dear speakers of English - both native and the likes of me :) 
Recently we �ve been discussing my adult learner �s news. She told me her husband had started his own business. I asked what she thought of the idea. She sounded rather skeptical and said something like "the baby may do whatever he likes as long as he doesn �t cry". In Russian we have a proverb that sounds exactly like that. But what about an English equivalent? I �m at a loss. Please help! 
What do you say when you think a person is doing something silly but harmless and you are condescending? Something like "whatever makes you happy" - but as an idiom  

2 Feb 2018      

spinney
United Kingdom

Whatever rocks (or floats) his/her/your boat. I �m sure there are more though. I �ll get back to you if I think of something.

2 Feb 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or you look on indulgently and say �It takes all sorts... � 

Edit: I heard my first husband say this to his friend about me after our first meeting, bless him. LOL
Or you can say, �It�s not my cup of tea...� 
These are not exactly the same, but could be used in that situation. 

3 Feb 2018     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Most helpful, thanks!

3 Feb 2018     

FrauSue
France

I like Spinney �s suggestion of "whatever floats your/his boat" best.

4 Feb 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Me too. 

4 Feb 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Aw, shucks!   Thanks peeps! I just know there �s a better one out there somewhere, though. What about the Irish? The Emerald Isle is absolutely teeming with poets and writers and must have a few belters up the old linguistic sleeve for throwing around in conversation. 

4 Feb 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Let him do what he wants, but if he finds he he can �t stand the heat, he �ll have to get out of the kitchen on his own.

I took the part of the Russian idiom (as long as he doesn �t cry) to mean that the wife does not want to be responsible or have to attend to any problems that may arise from the new business, but I am not sure if others would interpret it like that, too. 

So, combining both parts, Whatever floats his boat, but if he can�t stand the heat, he�ll have to get out of the kitchen (on his own).

4 Feb 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Or, "You can �t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs."  Still not  "on the nose" but getting closer, perhaps.

4 Feb 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A few of these have made me laugh, but I �ve never heard of them. It occurs to me that this could make a good game! 

Here �s mine: However he eats his pizza. And with Mary�s observation �as long as it doesn�t give him indigestion.� LOL
Or �However he slurps his spaghetti as long as it doesn�t splash me.� 
OK I�m stopping now. Big smile

5 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"If he can �t stand the Heat, he should come out of the Freezer!"

"I don �t mind if he eats Everything, and Licks the Plate Clean, provided he leaves something for Me!"

"He �s absolutely Useless at playing Rugby, but, at least, he did have a Try!"

Les Douglas 

5 Feb 2018     

1    2    Next >