Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The indefinite article "a"    

The indefinite article "a"

mjmo67
Iran

The indefinite article "a"

Hi dear colleagues!

Which of the following sentences do you consider correct?

1. I need a haircut and a shave?

2. I need a haircut and shave?

Thanks so much in advance!

20 Feb 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�I need a haircut and a shave � in theory, as they are separate items, a bit like saying �I ate a banana and an apple. � And if you turn them round, �I need a shave and a haircut. � 
I think �I need a haircut and shave � doesn �t sound too bad because they can come as a pair; I guess if you were at the barber �s and you asked for that.... As in, �I need a manicure and hand massage. �  

21 Feb 2018     

mjmo67
Iran

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that!

21 Feb 2018     

Jayho
Australia

I need a haircut and shave is perfectly natural, as is the correct grammatical form. Both are used and accepted.

These interesting threads elaborate on this topic, particularly the last entry on the second thread.

1.   https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/can-several-nouns-share-one-article.1542128/

2.   https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/repeat-indefinite-article-use-a-strawberry-an-apple-or-a-cranberry.2528143/

Cheers

Jayho 

21 Feb 2018     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

I think you need neither a haircut nor a shave. You look awesome!

24 Feb 2018