Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > learning from or by....    

learning from or by....

customer
Italy

learning from or by....

Hi dear colleagues,

which is more natural?

LEARNING BY EXPERIENCE 
or
LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE? 

Or are there other better expressions? 

Thanks a lot,
Chiara 

23 Mar 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Chiara, I think they mean different things. If you learn by experience, you are embracing experience as part of - or all of - your learning process. I think a positive is implied. If you learn from experience, something has gone wrong! It is implied that experience has intervened to teach you a lesson! 
The latter is the phrase the most commonly used. 

Edit: I�ve read laurieanne�s post and I will add that in learning by experience, you are involved; there is active participation, whereas in learning from experience, something has happened to you that you could not control, ... and it is rarely positive!Smile But you can take it onboard and learn from that experience. 

23 Mar 2018     

customer
Italy

thanks a lot, interesting explanation!

23 Mar 2018     

laurieann
Canada

Hi Chiara, 
I agree that learning BY experience has a somewhat different meaning than learning FROM experience, but I disagree that it means "something has gone wrong". Someone who has been teaching, or building houses, for example, learns from experience and that is a very positive way to gain skills.

As humans, we learn both by and from experience, so depending on the situation you�re talking about, either one could be a useful expression. 

23 Mar 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, Chiara:

�Learning by experience.�

OR

�Learning from experience.�

I think that they are both equally �natural�.

The Oxford English Dictionary gives example sentences:

�He had learned his lesson by painful experience!�

�She spoke from experience.�

Origin: Via Old French from Latin experiential, from expiriri �try�. Compare with Experiment and Expert.

Oxford Collocations Dictionary.

Prepositions: by experience; from experience. �We know from experience that hot objects are painful to touch.�

Verb + experience. Have experience; share experience; learn by experience; learn from experience; We all learn from experience.� Be based on experience; draw on experience. �In her book, she draws on her first-hand experience of mental illness.� Reflect. �These views reflect my own personal experience.�

Experience + verb. Suggest something, teach somebody something. �Experience has taught me that life can be very unfair.� �Experience shows that this strategy does not always work.�

Laurieanne:

I think that Lynne cunliffe makes a valid point. Whether we accept her choice of �by� or �from� is a matter for discussion.

However, the fact that experience can have a positive effect, or a negative effect, in my opinion, is not in doubt. Her argument is indirectly supported by the OED words, �try�, and �experiment�.

You say: I disagree that it means "something has gone wrong".

However, in the example sentences quoted in these books, the following phrases do suggest that something has gone wrong.

�Painful experience�; �Painful to touch�; �Mental illness�; �Life can be very unfair�; �Does not always work.�

Nevertheless, you are right to stress that learning can be a very positive achievement in life.

In conclusion, I�ll relate a joke that I sometimes tell against myself.

As you know, I�m a Magician. I stress that I always teach the audience something they didn�t know previously.

�Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight, you will learn something new. And you will realise that I make my show educational.

How do I know that it is educational?

Because at the end of last night�s performance, I saw a man wake his sleeping wife, and say to her:

�Well, that�s taught me a Lesson that I�ll not forget in a hurry!� �

Les Douglas

24 Mar 2018