Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Angrier or more angry    

Angrier or more angry

Thu Yen
Vietnam

Angrier or more angry

Hi everyone,

As I understand about short adjective, when we change Angry to the comparative form, it should be "angrier" ( like happy -> happier).  However, some people said it should be "more angry".

Could you give me the correct answer and explain it please!

Thanks a lot in advance. 

2 Sep 2018      

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Hi�Thu Yen,

I �d recommend angrier all day though more angry is not against the law� because there �s no law! Unlike other languages, English doesn �t have a Regulator Body / Language Academy stating clear rules. Instead, speakers worldwide�usually agree what �s acceptable or not. Check it out on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_regulators
With 2-syllable adjectives ended in -y (easy, happy, funny, etc) the understanding is that we change -y for -ier. �
Would native English teachers agree?
Regards�

2 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree, Antonio. "More angry" is acceptable, but not the usual comparative.

Bruce 

3 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I also agree. 

3 Sep 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I agree with Antonio, Bruce,�and Lynne.

"A Comprehensive Grammar Of The English Language", (Professor Randolph Quirk and others, page 462, 7.81), gives examples of�two-syllable adjectives that can most readily take the �er/est � forms, (the inflected forms).
-y����� early, earlier, earliest;�� easy,�easier, easiest;�� funny, funnier, funniest;�� happy, happier, happiest:�� �noisy, noisier, noisiest;�� wealthy, wealthier, wealthiest;��� pretty, prettier, prettiest.
-ow�� mellow, mellower: mellowest;�� narrow, narrower, narrowest;�� shallow, shallower; shallowest.
-le���� able, abler, ablest; � feeble, feebler, feeblest;�� gentle, gentler, gentlest;�� noble, nobler, noblest;�simple, simpler, simplest.
Three-syllable or longer adjectives can�ONLY take the �more/most � forms, (the periphrastic forms).
beautiful
~ more beautiful�[but NOT beautifuller]
~the most beautiful�[ but NOT beautifullest]
Three-syllable adjectives with the negative �un � prefix, such as �unhappy � and �untidy �, are exceptions.
unhappy, unhappier, unhappiest
untidy, untidier, untidiest
Participle forms, (Present Participle and Past Participle), which are used as adjectives regularly take ONLY the �more/most � forms, (the periphrastic forms).
interesting, more interesting, most interesting.
wounded, more wounded, most wounded.
worn, more worn, most worn.
I hope that this helps.
Les Douglas�

3 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In usage, there is at least one exception to this rule and it �s a notable one. In education circles, we say �the most able �. 

10 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

Lynne,
"more able" and "most able" aren �t restricted to education circles. I �d say that "abler" and "ablest" aren �t common at all, at least in the US.

Bruce 

10 Sep 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Thu Yen,

I hope that your original question has been answered satisfactorily. 

1) "angry; angrier; angriest."
2) "angry; more angry; most angry."

QUESTION: Which of these two forms is correct?

ANSWER: In my opinion, there is no �correct � or �incorrect � answer. They are BOTH acceptable constructions. It depends on the circumstances surrounding the sentence. It also depends on your point of view.

Les Douglas

10 Sep 2018