Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Shamrock / clover    

Shamrock / clover

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Shamrock / clover

Hello, good morning, Rise and shine.
Can I ask for your help?
What is the difference between a shamrock and a clover? Irish word versus British?
Three leaves versus four? Or ... ?
Thank you for your help.
Have a nice day

11 Mar 2009      

mokus19
Hungary

CLOVER: trefoil plant, used as fodder
SHAMROCK: trefoil, used as national emblem of Ireland

11 Mar 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Good morning, when I was young we used to pick shamrock, which we were told only grew on Irish soil, around St. Patrick �s Day. I don �t know if you know, but people wear a sprig of shamrock on that day. Anyway, we were told that the difference between shamrock and clover was that shamrock was smaller and had no fuzz. Not sure if that is the correct word, but I mean the feeling of tiny hairs. Real shamrock was smooth like a leaf. I know this isn �t very scientific, but it was what we Irish kids looked for, at least in my day.

11 Mar 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thank you Mokus, Thank you Arkel
Your explanations were clear and very helpful.
Have a nice day.

11 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

No idea...so I searched for it and this is what I found:

A shamrock is a common name for a clover. But as American botanist Kathleen Pelkki explains, a shamrock is a common name for any number of plants belonging to the genus Trifolium, from the Latin meaning "having three leaves."

The plant most commonly referred to as shamrock is white clover or Trifolium repens. The Irish word "seamrog," from which shamrock comes, means "little clover." Black medic, wood sorrel, and the hop clover have also been called shamrocks.

There is some debate over this issue. We found an Irish FAQ that claims that shamrocks are smaller than clovers, though they are both species of Trifolium. We couldn �t verify this with other online resources.

For a thoroughly detailed investigation of this issue, we refer you to Jane Lyons � article "The Real Shamrock." She states unequivocally that a true Irish Shamrock is a white clover or Trifolium repens. As evidence, she refers to Irish naturalist Nathaniel Colgan �s 1893 manifesto, "The Shamrock: A Further Attempt to Fix Its Species."

Shamrocks came to be associated with St. Patrick �s Day because the patron saint of Ireland used the three-leafed plant as a metaphor for the Christian concept of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Short answer: shamrock is smaller than clover.

Long answer: shamrock and clover are both used to refer to
species of trefoil (genus Trifolium, from the Latin meaning
"having three leaves"). Clover is used for large species and
shamrock for small species. Shamrock, like clover, is common
in Europe, not just in Ireland. [Answer blatantly cogged
from Des Higgins, resident newsgroup expert on the subject.]

11 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, at least to me... a shamrock was what we referred to as the clover one used on St. Patrick �s Day... We thought it was just an Irish way to say "clover"... like "Loch..." is Scottish for lake... - guess not... Oh, well, you learn something new everyday...

11 Mar 2009