Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How can I teach reading comprehension to my students?    

How can I teach reading comprehension to my students?

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

How can I teach reading comprehension to my students?

Hi,

I �m a substitute teacher for grade five students. I noticed that most of my students struggle with the exercises that involve reading comprehension. One type of exercise that keep coming is filling the gap with the past tense of a given set of verbs to complete a story. All I get are random guesses.

Is there any technique that I can teach them to gradually increase their level of comprehension.

Many thanks in advance.

12 Mar 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Others members will hopefully provide some practical ideas, but here are a few ppt shows about the issue of reading comprehension difficulties.

12 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Try this:

Smile

12 Mar 2009     

gizmogwai
United Kingdom

Hi :)

I guess it depends on what the problem is.

If the exercise uses the past tense of verbs the whole way through they need to revise the form of the sentence and irregular verbs. Maybe mark the form on the board. If they don �t understand the vocabulary itself then its a case of revising vocab. (Sorry that �s a bit obvious really!!! :) hehe)

What it sounds like though is that once there are lots of sentences, they just lose confidence and get confused.

I find dolphin readers is a good way of getting kids to get used to comprehension from an early age. There is a selection of dolphin readers available here. They are great colourful kids books with a story and guided comprehension exercises at the end.

http://englishtips.org/index.php?newsid=1150805505

12 Mar 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Have you thought about teaching them to actually understand what they are reading.  or how about changing the activity to something that is meaningful to them.

Ie read the book with a specfic learning intention (eg We are learning to identify facts) and then get the kids to create a poster with facts from the book written in their own words.

hope it helps
Vicki

14 Mar 2009