Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What say you?    

What say you?

EstherLee76
Peru

What say you?

Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me as to why old English sometimes doesnt have auxiliary verbs? For example in the Lord of the Rings, when Aragorn invites the dead to join his forces he asks "What say you?" instead of "What do you say?"  And Boromir states about the ring "I care not for it" rather than "I don�t care for it."

This question is mostly to satisfy my curiosity.  But the issue does come up with some of my more advanced students.

Thanks!
Esther 

1 Jun 2019      

spinney
United Kingdom

As it goes, we still say "what say you?" but it is considered colloquial. I think Tolkien was using that form in a stylised way to invoke a sense of the mediaeval in his work.
Looking around the internet, I found this which seems to gel with most other sites:

1 Jun 2019     

EstherLee76
Peru

Great link, Dale.  Thanks!

2 Jun 2019     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

sometimes i do wonder why we do be saying the things we do be saying, don�t you? 

4 Jun 2019     

EstherLee76
Peru

As Sinatra said:  Do be do be do!

7 Jun 2019