Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dinner, Tea or Supper?    

Dinner, Tea or Supper?

spinney
United Kingdom

Stop it Almaz! My stomach is rumbling! 
Just in case you are interested, I noticed quite a while ago that the pronunciation of "about" in my neck of the woods is pretty much the same as a lot of Canadians and Scotts, i.e. "aboot." I know that Scott is a common surname down in the Fens, in fact, it is the family name on my mother�s side (along with a lot of red hair, I may add). There are also a couple of very common idioms such as "shank�s pony" which I have been told originate from your neck of the woods. And if that isn�t enough, there used to be a very large Scottish contingent that would take their holiday at the local beach, Hunstanton, during the summers when I was a youngster. In fact, I often see a Scottish flag at some point if I visit the town in the summer. I was wondering if it has anything to do with this, article. Perhaps it�s a family connection thingy. There are also some wicked chip shops, including some that sell battered mars bars, the only place I know of that does so in England.
I�ve noticed that, unfortunately, over the years, the Fenland accent is pretty much disappearing. Such is life, I suppose.  
Edit: I forgot to thank Bruce for that. I think I have heard Americans referring to Sunday lunch as Sunday dinner before, now that I come to think of it. I was hoping somebody from Downunder would throw a little light on the matter, too. However, I just found this.

2 Jul 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Fascinating article there, Spinney. I�d forgotten aboot the Scottish origins of Shanks�s pony, but I did remember that the word �pony� had its origins in Scotland.

3 Jul 2019     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Thank you for this useful site.

4 Jul 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you to everybody who has contributed. There have been some very helpful, and enlightening, comments. It looks as if I am going to have to do some sort of worksheet based on this. How can I not?  
I just posted this question on a facebook page and it would appear that Australians and Americans also have a complicated relationship with this term. 

6 Jul 2019     

< Previous   1    2    3    4