Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Olde English?    

Olde English?

EstherLee76
Peru

Olde English?

Hi there,

I�m making an activity and I want to know how to label it.  What do you call English words that have fell out of use but appear in things like Christmas carols - for example "hither, verily, behold, good tidings, etc."  Do we just say "old English"?

Dale?  Almaz?

Thanks!

Esther 

21 Nov 2019      

tate2859
United States

You could use the word "archaic language" it means old :) 

21 Nov 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Why not : Once upon Today English ?

21 Nov 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Esther, 

I wouldn�t use �old English�. I think that conjures up really old English, if you get what I mean! Also, I think it is a language in its own right. I might use �old fashioned English� and I really like tate�s suggestion of �archaic English.�  You could use �outdated� as well. 

Lynne  

Edit: Yes, I think these words are generally referred to as archaic in circles like ours, old fashioned to your friends. Outdated words and terms can be more recent, like courting, necking, wireless.... I googled outdated words and terms in English and got a list of words that show your age if you use them. I use a canny few of them!Smile

21 Nov 2019     

L. habach
Morocco

How about classical English?

21 Nov 2019     

maryse pey�
France

English of the past ?

22 Nov 2019     

douglas
United States

I�m not sure that we have a word for that, how about "traditional English"?

Follow-up:

Here is an interesting explanation of the differences between archaic and obsolete words:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/archaic-vs-obsolete/

Cheers,
Douglas

22 Nov 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

The words (and phrases) are usually referred to as archaisms. It�s interesting that the archaisms used in many "traditional" carols reflect the language used in the King James Version of the Christian Bible � even though some of these words and expressions were themselves considered linguistic relics of an earlier age when this was completed in 1611.

Alex 

22 Nov 2019     

EstherLee76
Peru

What a fascinating discussion!  According to the link Douglas posted, "archaic" would probably be best here for the adjective form and "archaisms" for the noun form.

"My noble teachers.  I thank  ye heartily"

22 Nov 2019