Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > singular or plural    

singular or plural

Pedro14
Spain

singular or plural

Happy New Year to everybody! I�m working on a rephrasing worksheet and I have a question. Which form should I use "There were / was such a small number of people at the party that we went home." I know we should say "There were such a lot of people at the party ..." -many native speakers currently use "was" though. In the former sentence, however, people is so far from the verb that the plural form doesn�t sound correct to my ears. Thanks in advance.

6 Jan 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Happy New Year! 

You are right that a lot of natives would use there was when it should be there were. Even more so  in the present. There�s is ubiquitous. There�s loads of people at the party!  

There was such a small number of people....  that sounds right to my ears as well. The justification is that a number is singular. Interestingly, it is plural if the subject follows. A number of people have said that....
 It�s logical enough, I guess. Confused
Lynne 

6 Jan 2020     

douglas
United States

"a small number" is singular so "there was" is correct

6 Jan 2020     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million for such quick replies! I really appreciate it.

6 Jan 2020