Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference    

Difference

dackala
Serbia

Difference

Hi to all!

Do you happen to know what is the difference among a prepositional phrase, a prepositional idiom and a phrasal verb?
 Are some of them the same? When I researched I found different opinions and now I�m confused.

Can you help me to clarify those things?

6 Jun 2020      

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, it can be confusing – not least because grammarians don�t always agree on the same labels (some modern grammarians, for example, reject the term �phrasal verb� entirely, on the grounds that it�s misleading). Anyway, below is a fairly simplified view of how I see the terms you�ve mentioned:

Prepositional phrase: the easiest to define, since almost everyone would describe it as referring to a group of words typically with a preposition as its head and a noun phrase as its complement (or �object�, if you prefer). E.g. We went to the park  – where the phrase is underlined and the head is in bold.

Prepositional idiom: basically, an idiom starting with a preposition, and often has the structure preposition + noun + preposition. E.g. on behalf of my family, in front of the building, by means of a pulley system etc (the prepositional idiom is underlined).
Some grammarians might also treat these as �complex prepositions�.

Phrasal verb: typically consists of verb + particle (where the particle may be an adverb or a preposition), forming an idiomatic phrase (that is, where the particle changes the meaning of the verb). E.g. blow up (�explode�), turn on (�make something start�) break down (�stop working�) etc.
Like lexical verbs, these can be either transitive or intransitive, but should not be confused with �prepositional verbs� (lexical verb + preposition such as �look at the painting�, �ask for help� etc)

As I say, these are labels and not everyone may agree, but I hope it helps.

Alex 

7 Jun 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you, Almaz! 
That is about the clearest explanation I have seen. I have been to a couple of places and nobody can really agree. I�m still not sure whether "look at" is a phrasal verb or a prepositional phrase. I suppose that if the imperative is "look," it must mean it is a prepositional phrase. But then again ... 

7 Jun 2020     

yanogator
United States

Spinney,
I don�t see "look at" as a phrasal verb because it keeps the meaning of "look".

I, too, agree with Alex�s clear expoanation. 
Bruce 

7 Jun 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

I still wholeheartedly recommend Almaz�s explanation, however, while not disagreeing with Bruce, I should point out my dilemma with this.
According to Oxford Look at is a phrasal verb.
According to Macmillan, too, Look at is a phrasal verb, and quite a few others, to boot. 
However, although I have taught it as such, and the fact that look, without the preposition, tends to mean "appear" or "seem," if it is used with an intransitive meaning, it can be just look, on its own and with no at
Examples: They stood there looking at the scene before them.   contrasted with    They stood there looking
Well, perhaps the last one can be explained as an omission.  
Either way, it�s still a head-scratcher, and one that has me waking up, screaming in the small hours.   

7 Jun 2020