Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 10 07 2020    

WOD 10 07 2020

maryse pey�
France

WOD 10 07 2020

Thanks a million Douglas for your enjoying my crazy daffynition.

I hope this summer will be cool... I DO hope.

Well let�s try to keep on ths game with the new word : EFFULGENT.

Please make us laugh, make us laugh ! I am looking forward to reading your brilliant ideas.

Hugs to all.

Maryse. 

10 Jul 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

Easy! this refers to a complete gentleman from the town of Effingham in Surrey. 
(This name has always made me think of a town that does not think very highly of ham).  

10 Jul 2020     

karagozian
France

No way you are going to fool me here !!!!!!

I am "a fool of Gent".

That�s were I was born and lived until I met my fool of a husband.

BTW: Gent (in Dutch) Ghent (in English) Gand (in French) is the most beautiful city of Belgium.

Monique

11 Jul 2020     

Jayho
Australia

effulgent: in effect, it is the end result of the efficiascious efflux of effervescent effluvium

11 Jul 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Ef is a failing grade.

full means whole or total. 
Gent is short for gentleman or gentlewoman.

So, Ef-full-gent is a euphemism for the total failure in an exam by a gentleman or -woman. 

11 Jul 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ghent is a town in Belgium, famous for two things. One is the original Eiffel Tower, which in Belgian language is Efful. This is the prototype, tried in Ghent. It was massively popular and so was replicated in Paris. And Gent of course, is the correct spelling. And here is the Effulgent Tower. For another thing this amazing town is famous for, consult an earlier entry here. Wink
 Blackpool Tower - Wikipedia

11 Jul 2020     

savilla
Australia

Okay this may sound far-fetched but the truth is stranger than fiction.
(This idiom is used to point out that real life is filled such bizarre, absurd, or unlikely events that it can be hard to believe they are not fictional.)

The term for a man, usually an immigrant, who doesn�t speak a country�s native language is "FL gentleman", first used by UK Visas and Immigration in England. Public servants using this term to process visa applications etc. shortened it to "FL gent"; it was just one of many, many, many acronyms and strange jargon that they used on a daily basis.

The Home Office publishes a handbook for UK Visas and Immigration with a glossary of the many acronyms and terms, but when the handbook was updated in 2015, an error was made and it was written as "effulgent", not "FL gent". It was listed in the Handbook Errata (errata: a list of errors in a printed work discovered after printing and shown with corrections), however by the time that was published and distributed, "effulgent" was already in common use by new staff so in 2017, it was accepted officially and since then it has begun being used by other Departments within the Home Office. 

12 Jul 2020     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

Okey! So this is not a polite word. It is a word born out of necessity to attribute an at least somewhat accurate and sufficiently descriptive adjective to the nasty "i am such a gift to womankind" kind of personalities that roam high school corridors and work places. It was generated by a very popular feminist blogger to address this avid need for a code to refer to these kinds of "gentlemen."
If the details interest you, they are as under:
E-evil
F-foul
F-filthy
U-unsightly /unwelcome (you are allowed to choose) 
L-lousy loser(again, you may choose!)
GENT (because in all fairness, they can not really be referred to as regular gentlemen.)
Put it all together, and when the next time you hear someone cry out, "EFFULGENT ALERT!"  you know exactly what it means! 

12 Jul 2020     

FrauSue
France

It�s a kind of medicine.
People who are very constipated need to take an �effulgent� to ...erm ... loosen things up a little. The pharmacist usually advises you to take your effulgent in the morning and then spend the rest of the day very near the toilet! 

12 Jul 2020