Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocab question    

Vocab question

karagozian
France

Thank you Bruce

11 Feb 2021     

L. habach
Morocco

But this isn�t present perfecr, Bruce. This is future perfect simple tense. Let�s consider she is going to see the same film tonight as well! Then what would the answer be? 

11 Feb 2021     

L. habach
Morocco

But this isn�t present perfecr, Bruce. This is future perfect simple tense. Let�s consider she is going to see the same film tonight as well! Then what would the answer be? 

11 Feb 2021     

karagozian
France

After is the best option.

11 Feb 2021     

yanogator
United States

Yes, L. habach, it isn�t the present perfect. If it were, then before would be the right choice. That was my point. What she is doing tonight doesn�t change that.

Before is for something that happened in the past, not for something that will have happened by some future time. If she is going to see it again tonight, then a different sentence is needed. I have seen this movie six times before tonight, when I will be seeing it again. (After that, I will have seen it seven times)

Bruce 

11 Feb 2021     

L. habach
Morocco

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futureperfect.html

12 Feb 2021     

monder78
Poland

Thank you  for the  heated  debate  here. Now I  get the idea of  after. Of course , alternatively ,  by  is perfect as well , although there is no such a   choice. Enjoy  your  weekend.

13 Feb 2021     

yanogator
United States

L habach,
I think you included that link to show this example of the future perfect using before:
     They will have completed the project before the deadline. 

I contend that before is correct there only because of the use of the word, or the idea of, deadline. 

I will change my last post above to agree that if there is the understanding that she is going again tonight, before works, but there is nothing in the sentence itself that implies that. However, I agree that that understanding makes before an acceptable answer. However, it takes a special understanding or implication to make before work. 

If our sentence had been
     I will have seen this movie six times _________ my pass expires tonight,
then I would agree with before, because it is a deadline situation.
In addition, if the understanding between the speaker and the hearer is that tonight is a deadline like that, then before works.

So, in just a plain reading of the sentence, no deadline is implied, so I stand with after.

Bruce 

14 Feb 2021     

< Previous   1    2