Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is fair?    

What is fair?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What is fair?

Last week, a newspaper article claimed that English is the only language that has a word for fair meaning just, correct etc... I am writing a ws about this, saying how this is nonsense. One section is for the students to look at the words for fair, in other languages and say/guess which language they are from. However, I have got stuck on a google search for fair in German. Would people mind telling me what fair is in your language, so I can include it? So-  how would you say: That is not fair! Here is the article if anyone is interested. 

Thank you, Lynne 

12 Apr 2021      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Lynne! 

The word "fair" in Portuguese means "justo": justo - Dicionário Online Priberam de Português. It is related justice, being impartial, right.

Hope this helps.

ascicncoquinas 

12 Apr 2021     

karagozian
France

Juist in Dutch.

12 Apr 2021     

spinney
United Kingdom

To be fair,  the article is in the Daily Mail. 
My students hate it when I describe myself as having "fair hair." Perhaps they think it�s the wig a judge wears or something. In all fairness, a wig might be a viable option. 
Oh, apparently in Japanese they say "fea". 

12 Apr 2021     

yanogator
United States

It�s justo in Spanish, too (but pronounced differently from Portuguese).

Bruce 

12 Apr 2021     

redcamarocruiser
United States

That is not fair in German is Das ist unfair, or das ist ungerecht.

12 Apr 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you guys. The article was indeed in the Daily Mail and it was highlighted by Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times. I sensed a worksheet!  I am now  beginning to think there may be some truth in it. Googling fairness in many languages tends to bring up the word for justice and of course in English, these are not the same. I am going to change the exercise in the worksheet and give a research task instead;-) 
@Spinney - I thought you were a ginger. 
Thanks again,
Lynne  

13 Apr 2021     

jannabanna
France

I don�t think you need any help with French, Lynne, but for the others here are a few examples:

• Ce n�est pas juste!  It�s not fair!
  • Obtenir un procès équitable/impartial.  To get a fair trial.

Love languages !!

13 Apr 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Janet. Yes, this is one for linguists. I�ve chickened out a bit though;-) I have uploaded the worksheet now. Publish and be damned!

13 Apr 2021     

Tati Colella
Brazil

Hello
Here in Brazil we use the word "justo"
So, this is not fair in Brazilian Portuguese we say Isso não é justo

13 Apr 2021     

maryse pey�
France

In Italian it is :

Questo non è GIUSTO / IMPARZIALE / OBIETTIVO! (This is unfair !) 

13 Apr 2021     

1    2    Next >