Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > strategies    

strategies

harelyta
Peru

strategies

Hello dear friends;
I�m writing to ask you for some help;
How can I improve oral expression or "Speaking"  in my students? They are from 9th grade , high school
What strategies do you use? Are they effective?
Thanks a bunch for your help

12 Oct 2022      

toutazou
Tunisia

role plays dialogues guessing gq;es

13 Oct 2022     

harelyta
Peru

Thank you

13 Oct 2022     

Sylwia G
Poland

maybe try board games, like they have to answer a question when they stop on a particular square, or describing a picture, you might find surprising or funny pictures online or guessing games like "who�s who", to make them speak, you have to boost up an interest in them, like them wanting to know something, or find out some information, i think it�s called "information gap", if there is an information gap they would like to fill in, that�s the point they will start speaking

19 Oct 2022     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Sylwia - information gap games are good. A TV schedule with the times blanked out, for example - each partner has different blanks, and they must question their partner to reconstitute the schedule.

Also anything involving a random element, like a dice to choose the question or cards to draw and include in your answer.

"Battleships" works well - you create a grid with e.g. 6 pictures across the top row (e.g. 6 places in town) and 6 other pictures down the left-hand side (e.g. 6 forms of transport). Students colour in their battleships on the grid. They then try to guess where their partner�s ships are hidden, but instead of using grid coordinates in the classic game (A6, B3 etc.), they have to make sentences using the elements ("I take the bus to school" / "I ride my bike to the park" etc.). 

With any speaking activity in pairwork like this, make sure you model it first with the whole class, so that students are confident doing the activity independently afterwards. 

23 Oct 2022