Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say     

How do you say

mari_18cf
Brazil

How do you say

I will give you guys some context. I have been looking for a way to express that for a while.
It is nothing related to law, when I look up this word, law-related vocabulary is all I find.

Suppose I am playing footvolley as a beginner against someone advanced. His serves are so powerful (It is kind of unfair because I am a beginner) , which is not against the rules, so I can not call that cheating.

I want a word similar to cheating, but something that is not considered against the rule. Does that make sense? 

24 Oct 2022      

yanogator
United States

He�s playing unfairly. He�s being inconsiderate.

If those don�t suit you, tell me what you would call it in Portuguese and I�ll see if I can work backwards from that.

Bruce 

24 Oct 2022     

mari_18cf
Brazil

He is "apelando". But the translation does not fit. Unfairly sounds different because it�s one against one. He could say it is fair despite his skills. It is not cheating (but very close) because it is not against the rules.

24 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Outperform, overshadow, outmatch, outgun, outclass. Perhaps not what you are looking for exactly, but a little closer at least. 

25 Oct 2022     

douglas
United States

I don�t think that we have a single word for it.

I would leans towards he is "taking advantage of me" or being "unsportsmanlike"

25 Oct 2022     

FrauSue
France

In the same vein as "unsportsmanlike", we have the saying "it�s not cricket" to mean that someone is not playing within the spirit of the rules.

25 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Perhaps "sham" would be appropriate. For example, "The match was a sham," meaning it was a "no-contest" because of cheating. 

25 Oct 2022     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great suggestions. I guess the one that comes closer (I think) is the idea of taking advantage. You are amazing.

25 Oct 2022