Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Nothing for money    

Nothing for money

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Nothing for money

Good evening dear ESLPRINTABLE members:

I haven�t been here for quite some time cause I have been very ill.
Today I received a message about a very old ws I uploaded about the song "Money for nothing". 
And the message is: 

"This song "Money for Nothing" is completely inappropriate and has been banned. Very offensive to "gay people" with earring and makeups. Chicks for free. Disgusting content. It was a horrible song when it first came out. Shocked that it is here."
 Can I ask if any of you think this comment really shocks people, or in anyway "attacks" gay people.if so I will remove it.

Thank you 

LAscincoquinas 

26 Feb 2023      

swebeck
Hong Kong

Dire Straits. The song has been controversial since it came out many years ago. The problem is that the songwriter has created a character (a worker who delivers appliances, does heavy manual labor) who is misogynist, and there are gay and other slurs in the song (the worker is sneering at the wealthy rock stars who �get chicks for free� and have an easy life, but is also envious of them.) The song writer (Mark Knopfler) does not hold or endorse those views, he is depicting a person who does and whose views I and many others would find offensive. So it�s rather nuanced. Haven�t seen your wksht, but depending on the level, it could be difficult to teach. At a higher level, perhaps a good discussion topic. Lower level, nuance gets lost. 

26 Feb 2023     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

I would see it as an ideal opportunity to introduce language / a way of speaking that was, for many but not all, acceptable some years ago, but which is acceptable (or tolerable) for fewer people now.
As Swebeck said, nuance is important in language.
And it is often lost on younger and/or less well-educated people.
(Or people less willing to talk about controversy or defend a position they hold)
As I see it, it would be perfectly acceptable in a adult class, or at least a class or adult-minded young people capable of discussing things without feeling / claiming that they need what some now call a "safe space."
I would be happy to do this activity with students who happen to be gay and who wish to express their honest opinion.

I, however, do not speak for all, and I do not speak for this site, and decisions like the one you are faced with are not made by voting. Should they be? That is a different discussion.

One can, surely, present a difficult topic respectfully.

26 Feb 2023     

spinney
United Kingdom

I really would not worry. It is art, and it doe not represent the views of the singer or group given that it is about a certain kind of individual. If we went about censoring things from the past we would not be able to examine the attitudes of the past and our history would be much the worse for it. Look at the plot of Titus Andronicus. A classic work of theatre but I seriously doubt it would get published today. From where I stand, being careful with how we define people nowadays should be our goal to creating a better society. Not airbrushing out how we were in the past or denying what we were, or are, capable of.  

27 Feb 2023     

douglas
United States

Sad when social commentary is censored; white washing history so that people do not learn from it and inviting them to repeat it instead. The song gives a very accurate snapshot of the music business at the time--I find it quite good.

And I hope you are well now LAscincoquinas..

27 Feb 2023     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I once sent a picture description where one could see three ladies in the background. One of them was naked. I hadn�t even seen it. Anyway, the picture was for adult students, as it was an artwork. The comment from one of the members was. " When I showed the pictures, my students were shocked. This kind of picture might be suitable in Brazil, but is completely impossible in the USA." Can you believe it? Monique made a little bikini for the picture. Do now, the teachers can chose in oder not to shock their students.
When I upload something polemic, I normally put it in the description and say that it is not my opinion. 

27 Feb 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with what has been said and I would just ignore the comment. People should find more constructive things to do with their time than post messages on old worksheets anyway! Silvia, I remember your predicament and I had a good laugh, you naughty girl!Wink And so Monique made a bikini for the offending nude! Priceless!!! LOLThis reminds me that I used to use Delilah by Tom Jones to teach my lads - I was in  boys� school - the past simple tense. I do regret that now, I think that song is offensive as it excuses and romanticises murder, but then again, it could be used with an adult class to discuss changing attitudes over time. I do hope you are well now. 
Lynne  

27 Feb 2023     

karagozian
France

I also totally agree with what has been said. And anyway who cares ??? There are no more comments !!

Anyway what I do think is that the person who thinks this is not adapted for her or his classes doesn�t need to use it. And just leave it for others who may find interest in it with adult classes.

Please. Before you download and  surely use any ws.  READ it and see if you understand it yourself. Too easy, to download and than say it�s crap or not adapted.

I find this shocking.

Am I strange ?

Thank you for your beautiful and interesting contributions dear LAscincoquinas

27 Feb 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is shocking and ridiculous, but yes Monique, you are very strange!

27 Feb 2023     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi There! 

Thanks to all of you for the support and kind words

ascincoquinas 

27 Feb 2023