Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with French idioms    

help with French idioms

karagozian
France

7. To multitask simultaneously. Generally used negatively to indicate the difficulty or impossibility of accomplishing several tasks at once.

30 Mar 2023     

karagozian
France

I love expressions. I have heard them all. Love 6 but of course would never do that. Well Lynne. Tu m as donner du pain sur la planche. Did this on my not very smart phone. Took me a while in the car. Though i am not driving the car. Car, en effet il est impossible d �tre au four et au moulin en mem temps. Hugs Monique No no I haven�t left the family.

30 Mar 2023     

maryse pey�
France

You can add :

C�est du pain béni = something welcome (and maybe unexpected)

C�est bon comme du bon pain = of high quality 

Not used today but very symbolic :

C�est le pain du bourreau = it will be your last bread. Once, in the Middle Ages if I remember well, a bread was prepared for the convicted who would be to be executed. Not to forget to give it to the poor guy the hangman put it upside down and that habit had become the symbol of fatal destiny.

Hugs.

Maryse. 

30 Mar 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Merci beaucoup Monique et Maryse! Maryse, I saw that last piece of information on the net and I am giving it in a list of true or falses. It is just a conversation group, but once a teacher!..... 

30 Mar 2023     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi
this is a humble try to clarify the meanings of these idioms..I hope it will help a bit. 

Enlever le pain de la bouche de quelqu`un

To deprive someone of their means of earning a living .

2. Long comme un jour sans pain.

Very long and unbearable situation 
3. Avoir du pain sur la planche.
 to  be very busy doing something

4. Se vendre comme des petits pains.

sell like hot cakes  / to be polarized easily / to be influenced easily

5. Pour une bouchée de pain.

For crumbs

6. Coller un pain.

to fist someone on the face

7. Ne pas pouvoir etre au four at au moulin.

can`t do many things at the same time 

3 Apr 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Merci beaucoup, Gaza child. I feel very confident now to deliver my little activity. 

3 Apr 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I am giving up on French idioms! I have received this message from a member of my French group, �J�offre ma maison pour un boeuf�. Eh? Je n�ai pas de boeufs, moi. 

5 Apr 2023     

< Previous   1    2