Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > French idiom    

French idiom

cunliffe
United Kingdom

French idiom

Hello French friends, one more query about idioms, this one to do with eggs. 

etre plein comme un oeuf = etre repu ou saoul. The English equivalent given is to be chock-a-block/stuffed = you have had too much to eat. But doesn�t saoul mean drunk. Is this correct? 

Lynne x 

3 Apr 2023      

maryse pey�
France

Dear Lynne,

Yes, you are right : SAOUL = drunk.

But there is another meaning : When you say "TU ME SAOULES AVEC TES BÊTISES !"
Here it is a verb (you can use with "your song" "your boyfriend"...) and it means "Stop with your nonsense (your talking...) ! I�m fed up (with it / this / him...) !"

Does it answer your question ?

Have a good day Lynne.

Maryse. 

4 Apr 2023     

douglas
United States

Sounds kind of like the German word "Voll" -- it actually translates to full, but is also used to mean drunk

4 Apr 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Maryse and Douglas. So, does that idiom exist? If I say je suis plein(e) comme un oeuf, can it mean either I have had too much to eat or too much to drink? 

Thank you!  

4 Apr 2023     

valodra
France

Hello Lynne ,
Je suis plein(e) comme un oeuf sounds very old-fashioned....It cannot mean I have had too much to drink ( to me ;-))) - you can only use it about food.
Val

4 Apr 2023     

valodra
France

PS !
Je suis plein : I am drunk.
Je suis plein comme un oeuf : I am stuffed...
;-)))

4 Apr 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ok Val, merci beaucoup! Je vais changer ma feuille, c�est un petit quiz que j�ai pris d�une magazine pour les Anglais: La Vie Outre-Manche. 

4 Apr 2023     

karagozian
France

I can drink like a fish. But you, Lynne, would surely drink me under the table. To be tried.

4 Apr 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Monique, very good! Two idioms, both constantly used, in one go! I can drink most women under th table, as long as bubbly is involved! 
A toi et a moi, a nous deux ma chere!

Bottle Of Champagne With Two Glasses And Gold Streamers High-Res Vector  Graphic - Getty Images

5 Apr 2023     

karagozian
France

In French we say less elegantly "boire comme un trou"

5 Apr 2023     

jannabanna
France

More French expressions et proverbs using ‘�ufs’

Marcher sur des �ufs, ... means to take precautions, be careful of doing something.

Mettre tous ses �ufs dans le même panier, ... means not to risk everything on one project or investment.

On ne fait pas d’omelette sans casser des �ufs… means in order to arrive at a result sometimes we need to sacrifice something else.

Qui vole un �uf vole un b�uf ! … means someone who is capable of stealing something small is capable of stealing something important.

Tuer dans l’�uf … means to stop something from progressing or becoming too big to handle.

Va te faire cuire un �uf ! (slang) means to get rid of someone who is annoying you.

6 Apr 2023     

1    2    Next >