Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHILE, MEANWHILE - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?    

WHILE, MEANWHILE - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

bianca17
Brazil

WHILE, MEANWHILE - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

I have one student who asked me the difference between those two words; although I thought I knew it, the more I tried to explain it to him, the more confused he got, then I got confused, and it wasn�t nice.
The internet hasn�t been very helpful either.

I appreciate it if someone could give me a hand in this matter.

11 Jul 2023      

Anthoni
Thailand

Hi Bianca, There is a great video on Youtube which addresses the difference between while and meanwhile.You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EofcMDlVNIk&ab_channel=EnglishwithEmma%C2%B7engVid

11 Jul 2023     

bianca17
Brazil

Thank you so much.

12 Jul 2023     

FrauSue
France

Hello Bianca,

WHILE is a conjunction. It introduces a subordinate clause. Thus, the two clauses int he sentence will be linked by a comma.
MEANWHILE is a conjunctive adverb. It introduces a main clause. Thus, it can introduce either a stand-alone sentence or can be used to link two main clauses with a semi-colon.

While Ben was preparing the meal, Amy was laying the table.
Ben was preparing the meal. Meanwhile, Amy was laying the table. or Ben was preparing the meal; meanwhile, Amy was laying the table. 

16 Jul 2023