Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What is the English for Quelle mouche le pique?    

What is the English for Quelle mouche le pique?

Sonn
Russian Federation

What is the English for Quelle mouche le pique?

Dear friends, 
Is it possible to say What fly has stung you? Would this translation sound natural to an English speaking person or are there any other idioms that should be used in English in this case?
Thanks in advance,
Natalia 

31 Jul 2023      

douglas
United States

Perhaps "Who has put a bee in your bonnet?"

have a bee in one�s bonnet
phrase of bee
  1. informal
    be preoccupied or obsessed about something, especially a scheme or plan of action.
    "the country gets a bee in its bonnet about some failing in schools"

31 Jul 2023     

kohai
Latvia

In Latvian, we also use "a fly" in this idiom but it seems that in English it�s usually "a bee".

The reply by AI:
The correct idiom is "What bee has stung you?" or "What bee got into your bonnet?" This idiom is used to ask someone why they are behaving in an agitated or irritable manner, as if they have been unexpectedly bothered or irritated by something. It suggests that the person�s current mood or behaviour is unusual or unwarranted, just like a person who has been stung by a bee might react with sudden agitation or annoyance.

31 Jul 2023     

spinney
United Kingdom

To have a bee in your bonfire does indeed indicate an overreaction to something rather irritating. I think the phrase closer to the one you are talking about would be "Who has p***ed on your bonfire?!" Perhaps a tad vulgar, but common enough where I come from. I certainly would not teach that to kids but I would consider teaching it to adults. "Who has rained on your parade?" is perhaps a little better, but quite old-fashioned, nowadays. 

1 Aug 2023     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Dear Douglas, Ruta and Dale, thank you very much for your answers!

3 Aug 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Who has rattled your cage? What/who has rattled his cage? 

3 Aug 2023     

jannabanna
France

Another translation which comes to mind is:  What�s got into you?

4 Aug 2023     

jimmymelrose
France

The title of this thread is incorrect. The correct French expression is: Quelle mouche t�a piqu�?

edit: Why does this site make a mess of apostrophes and accents? Now I understand why the original poster got this wrong although �Quelle mouche te pique?� is still better.

13 Nov 2023