Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Balcony and Terrace    

Balcony and Terrace

apayala
Spain

Balcony and Terrace

Can the top balcony of a building be called as a terrace?, I mean.. when it is bigger than the balconies below as there is no other flat above and also it is a recessed balcony. I am not sure if terraces must always been at ground level.

Thanks for your help!

2 Sep 2023      

spinney
United Kingdom

I always thought of a terrace as a kind of raised patio, bigger than a porch, and usually in the back garden. The exception is a roof terrace, which is an enormous balcony with lots of space. I often see them with Spanish "Attico" flats. However, if the top balcony is rather large, I think it can be called a "roof terrace" too. My wife used to live in a top-floor flat in Sanlucar de Barrameda that had an enormous balcony which could definitely have been called a roof terrace, even though her flat was not on the roof (atico).  I have managed to find this which may help. Differences:  I think you will find that the Spanish language will probably help redefine the concept a few years down the road from now and we could well find a more flexible use of the word.  All in all, "terrace" can be a bit of a grey area, sometimes.  Here is a Wikipedia definition which seems a tad more flexible and reflects it quite well. 

2 Sep 2023     

apayala
Spain

Thank you so much, spinney, for your great, great answer with so many details!!!

2 Sep 2023     

MrLance
South Africa

A terrace is an open space that can be attached or detached to a building. In contrast, balconies are small elevated platforms that are affixed to a given room in the house. Whereas a terrace can have multiple access points, a balcony is typically only accessible through the room. Yes there is such thing as a roof terrace What is a roof terrace? noun. a garden on the roof of a building.

7 Sep 2023