Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed    

Help needed

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Help needed

Dear colleagues, I need your help: is the sentence below grammatically correct: John recommended George sending someone in to check road works. I expected the sentence: John recommended George send/ should send... I would really appreciate your answers and I thank you in advance.

20 Dec 2023      

douglas
United States

this is a tough one-- it sounds very awkward, but I believe it is grammatically correct. Anyone else have an input?

21 Dec 2023     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

I agree. I haven�t found any such examples in grammar books, which makes me think it�s not right.

21 Dec 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

George recommended sending someone in to check the roadworks - that is absolutely correct and usual usage.

George recommended John sending someone in.... I am not so sure! I think it should be to send.. Could that �sending� be a gerund? I agree it sounds a bit odd. 

Lynne  

21 Dec 2023     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

Actually, both are correct
John recommended George send/ should send 
It�s like the sentences of the kind 
It is recommended that he say / should say...
Anyway, I would hear more often another variant
John recommended George to send...
Also - George was recomended to send
but - John recommended sending (no object after recommended) 

21 Dec 2023     

douglas
United States

I think it follows this same format, which is commonly used: "I recommend (you) taking the 405 freeway next time."-- so I would say it is correct

22 Dec 2023