Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > VOCABULARY MEANING    

VOCABULARY MEANING

araveg
Spain

VOCABULARY MEANING

Hi everybody.
I have a question about the collocation "With this in mind". I know it means "taking it into consideration" , but can it be a synonym "Knowing this" too ?
Thanks in advance. 

25 Jan 2024      

savilla
Australia

I would say the meaning is similar but not quite the same.

I found some example sentences at https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/sentences-with-the-word/with_this_in_mind.html

Our aim is to inform you not to irritate. With this in mind, our publication will now be sent twice monthly.
In this example, the writer is pointing out that they (the publishers) don�t want to annoy people and that�s why they are going to now send the publication twice a month. Presumably they were sending it more frequently than that.
You can�t simply substitute "knowing this" and convey the same meaning. You would need to reword it a bit. For example:

We know that some people are irritated as they feel we are sending the publication too often. Knowing this, our publication will now be sent out twice monthly.
I hope that helps! 

28 Jan 2024     

araveg
Spain

THANKS , THANKS, a lot.  

28 Jan 2024