Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > VOCAB QUERY    

VOCAB QUERY

monder78
Poland

VOCAB QUERY

Hi there ,
I   am wondering if  there is a better version of  the   following  saying :

[a] mountain will not get back together with a mountain, but a person with a person always [will].  (literal translation ). I  must  admit    the proverb  does  not   sound authentic in English.

Does the proverb  function in English  as well ?

I  guess a better  native  version  would   be   :It is   a  small  world  or  perhaps    Fancy  seeing  / meeting   you  here.
Please let me know  if there is another  version to express the meaning. 

Thanks a million in advance.

1 Feb 2024      

savilla
Australia

Hi.
The Polish language has some great proverbs. I tried to find some information about the one you mentioned.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/g%C3%B3ra_z_g%C3%B3r%C4%85_si%C4%99_nie_zejdzie,_a_cz%C5%82owiek_z_cz%C5%82owiekiem_zawsze shows the meaning as:
one can find someone known in unexpecting (should be �unexpected�) places or times 
https://moscsp.ru/en/polskaya-poslovica-na-russkii-yazyk-perevoditsya-kak-polskie-poslovicy.html
Mountain does not converge with mountain, but man and man will converge.

The Dictionary of European Proverbs by Emanuel Strauss includes this:
men may meet sooner than mountains

I don�t know of any English proverb that has that exact meaning and I agree with what you said; the translations do not sound authentic. The idioms that you mentioned do seem close to it in meaning. �Cross someone�s path�, �happen along�, �bump into someone� and �run into someone� are also similar.

I hope that helps! 

3 Feb 2024     

monder78
Poland

Thank you, that  will do.

4 Feb 2024