Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > īDo you like lettuce? ī or īDo you like lettuces? ī    

īDo you like lettuce? ī or īDo you like lettuces? ī

gabitza
Romania

īDo you like lettuce? ī or īDo you like lettuces? ī

Hi guys!
I īm very confused about this: do we need to use a plural with vegetables of all sorts when we talk about likes/dislikes?
īDo you like broccoli / broccolis? ī īDo you like radish/radishes? ī or īlettuce ī... I would choose the singular for these cases. Am I wrong?
Please, help me out of my misery!!!!Wacko
Gabitza

18 Mar 2009      

memthefirst
Turkey

I think both correct.

But I like bird. I like birds.I would choose the second one.

18 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

Vegetables like lettuce and broccoli are usually considered uncountable, which is understandable because you usually you some lettuce or some broccoli, not a whole head of lettuce, etc.  Radishes, on the other hand are countable.  So...
Do you like broccoli?
Do you like lettuce?
Do you like radishes?

As for memtehfirst īs example, it would have to be "I like birds." (Because birds are countable)

Hope this helps! (BTW Gabitza, I love your worksheets!)

18 Mar 2009     

memthefirst
Turkey

But we say (I like hamburger and fries) even though "hamburger" is countable.

18 Mar 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Thanks a lot for your quick replies! Big smile
I love you all for sharing not only Ws but also valuable advice!
Gabitza

18 Mar 2009     

mariamit
Greece

I agree with ameliator. It īs "Do you like lettuce?"  Of course, when you īre speaking of lettuce as a vegetable (plant) you can say lettuces- I have planted more than fifty lettuces in my garden this year. Think of it like chicken - when you eat it it īs I like chicken, but my grandmother has many chickens (hens) in her barn.  I hope that helps a bit.
By the way I agree about your worksheets with ameliator, too. I love them.

18 Mar 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Thanks mariamit! You īre very helpful and I do appreciate your nice words.
Hugs and kisses from Romania.
Gabitza

18 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

I think lettuce is considered both a plant and the material.

I like lettuce (the material or "leaves of" - uncountable)
I like lettuces (the plant - countable)

similar to pastry.
I like pastry (the material - uncountable)
I like pastries (the dessert - countable)

19 Mar 2009     

Abbes_Z
Morocco

Hi Gabitza,

i totally agree with Ameliarator, Mariamit and wolfy. The latter īs-- or rather-- the freedictionary īs Wink is very to-the-point.. i would just like to add that you can use "lettuces" as far as you think about them as a variety (i.e. various kinds of lettuces); otherwise, "lettuce" is more common..

Have a great time, Gabitza!

P.S.: i īll never forget your last intiative in my favour.. Thanks again!! Thumbs Up

19 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

We don īt say "I like hambuger and fries"
We say "I like hambugers and fries" or we say "I would like a hamburger and fries."

19 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

If you say "lettuce", you are talking about lettuce in general (usually indicates iceberg lettuce in America)--uncountable

If you say lettuces, you are talking about different kinds of lettuce--countable

19 Mar 2009