Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need your advice!    

Need your advice!

tsaour
Greece

Need your advice!

Hi everyone! This is the first time I �m writing in the forum.I really need your help. You are all very helpful and I think you could give me some good advice. I have an intermediate student who is very weak in vocabulary. She doesn �t know basic words like bring, forget etc. How can I help her enrich her vocabulary? Please help, I �m desperate!! Thank you all for your wonderful work. Bye!!

22 Mar 2009      

maniag
Greece

Hi tsaour! If I were you, I would give her word lists from the companions of the junior or first seniors grades. Another good solution is to use adult books! They have the most basic words.Don �t worry! I �m sure you will make her an expert in the end!Good luck!!

22 Mar 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Tsour,
I think we should blame our placement tests.Sometimes they are unreliable.I personally wouldn �t put this student in an intermediate level.This may spoil the broth.
But if you have to,I would advise you to get him or her involved in the learning process and assign some voc homeworks: word families, synonyms,antonyms,gap filling exercices together with some positive reinforcement.....
I hope they �ll work
Good luck

22 Mar 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Play some vocab games in the classroom.  Make sure you accompany instructions with actions.  Have the students design some flashcards for younger children - she will have to learn the words to draw accopanying pictures!

Good luck
V

22 Mar 2009     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

I would start with Oxford "English vocabulary in Use". Maybe you shall start with elementary level and then go to the next book. You can download all the series here
www.englishtips.org
just type English vocabulary in Use in the search bar
Good luck!!!

22 Mar 2009