Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I īm confused!    

I īm confused!

ARaquelSP
Portugal

I īm confused!

Sometime ago I uploaded a ws with a Passive Voice game included. I admit having seen some questions somewhere on the Internet (can īt remember if it was boogles), but they were NOT part of a game. This game I invented it myself and added a few extra questions of mine because I wanted my students to practice the passive orally. I should have included the source, but unfortunately I forgot and I apologise everyone for that. However, yesterday I found this link:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=201796#thetop

I was intrigued and checked and was about to tell the user that it was my idea, when another user said it had been taken from boogles. I was absolutely shocked! I don īt know if it īs possible that other websites steal our ideas. What I know is that some of these sentences were NOT in the context of a game. Perhaps boogles had already something similar that I DIDN īT see? Seems a very big coincidence.

As far as I know we can use some materials and adapt them on our own. This is what I did when I created the game. I am very confused now because I KNOW I had the idea for this game, but I can īt prove boogles had done it before me or - if it is possible - somebody took the idea from me. My game had been here long before this new worksheet.

I hope you believe me and tell me what to do. Perhaps I should delete part of my ws, but on the other hand I had the idea and the work. I īm raising this question because I don īt want anyone else to do it for me. I love this site and I love sharing my work with you and the last thing I want is to have troubles or to be accused of stealing.
Cry

23 Mar 2009      

dragonfly2
Portugal

Hi Raquel.

If you have a clear conscience, here īs my advice: forget about it. I rarely read the forum posts but every single time I do, there is someone accusing somebody else of stealing something without proof and without even questioning the accused first. And this has created some unfair situations, as far as I can see. This is really awful, because it portrays a very ugly picture of all of us teachers.

So, here īs my suggestion to all of you accusers: think first and ask second. And then if you are sure, report the stealing to Victor. Stop posting public accusations on the forum. The only reason you do that is because you are safely hidden behind your computers and you know that you will not face consequences even if you are wrong. Because if this was "real life", you would surely think twice before you accused someone of stealing without proof.  

So Raquel, don īt worry. And think positive. The truth will always win.

23 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I totally agree with dragonfly Smile.... and I wouldn īt worry too much about it Raquel. If you are sure that it was your idea then I am sure that it must have been. Besides, we are allowed to adapt work - just not copy and paste or scan directly from books without modifying the work somehow.

Also - there is a very good possibility that ideas and worksheets are taken from here and used elsewhere since the Internet is such a vast thing that keeps on growing everyday and where information is continually exchanged.

But anyways, stay positive... your work is very, very nice ... and I wouldn īt let others get you down. Sometimes the negativity of seeing reported stuff all the time on the board makes you feel a bit edgy, you get to the point that you are scared to put anything up because you are afraid somebody will start screaming "Thief"...  so you MUST not let this kind of stuff get to you.

Think positively as dragonfly said!!

Warm regards,

Linda

24 Mar 2009     

Dilsy
Guatemala

Hello Teachers from around the world, good job for everything you do, dealing with kids is the taughest job ever, but it īs also a greatfeeling...so keep up the good work...thanks for all the ideas, I hope my ideas are useful to you....with love, from Guatemala, Dilsy

24 Mar 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Thank you very much to all of you for your support. Smile I believe someone (maybe not even a member of this website) must have taken my idea elsewhere. I was only worried that somebody could accused me of stealing - which I DIDN īT do - and so I decided to raise the issue before someone else did it for me.

Thank you! Thumbs Up

24 Mar 2009