Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MY BROTHER AND I OR MY BROTHER AND ME    

MY BROTHER AND I OR MY BROTHER AND ME

sebas555
Chile

MY BROTHER AND I OR MY BROTHER AND ME

WHO CAN EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN MEANING IF THERE IS ONE
THANKS
SEBAS

26 Mar 2009      

mariejosees
Canada

Hello
My brother and I is placed before the verb, ex. My brother and I play the piano.
My brother and me is placed after the verb, ex. It belongs to my brother and me.

26 Mar 2009     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

He and I is the SUBJECT of the sentence -- use subject pronouns
You and me is the OBJECT of the sentence -- use object pronouns.

HE WAS STUDYING ENGLISH
I WAS STUDYING ENGLISH

SO HE AND I WOULD BE OK

MY MOTHER IS  LIKE YOU AND ME. ( OBJECT PRONOUN)  

26 Mar 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi ,

It �s my brother and I because it �s a subject pronoun not an object pronoun

Cheers

27 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi everyone!

This is one of those �grey areas � of English (like how to spell grey/gray...)

To quote directly from Swan �s Practical English Usage (3rd edition)

Divided usage
Speakers of a standard language often differ about small points of usage. Where two different forms are common, people who use one form may claim that theirs is the only �correct � usage, and that people who use the other form are making mistakes. Some examples from modern English:
so-called �only correct form �                               so-called �mistake �
John and I went to the cinema.                    John and me went to the cinema.
They �re different from us.                               They �re different to us.
fewer people                                                  less people
Somebody �s dropped his or her keys              Somebody �s dropped their keys.
I �m unemployed at present.                            I �m unemployed presently.
In fact, all of the so-called �mistakes � listed above have been normal in standard English for centuries, and are not wrong at all (though some of them are more informal than the so-called �only correct forms �, and would be out of place in a formal style).
For details, see 429 (I and me), 155 (different), 320 (less), 528 (their) and 467 (presently).

Using the axamples (in bold) above it would be perfectly acceptable to �My brother and I ~ � or �My brother and me ~ �.

If anyone would like me to, I can either post the complete extract about �I and me � or I can email/personal message it. It is fairly extensive. Please let me know!

Regards,
AB

27 Mar 2009