Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teaching through Films    

Teaching through Films

GiBastos
Portugal

Teaching through Films

Hello!
First of all I want to thank you all you great ws!!!

Currently I am working with secondary students and we are discussing about discrimination at work.
Do you know any film that focus this subject? I think the film Pursuit of Happiness discusses this subject, but I �m not sure...

Could you please give me some names of films?

Thanks in advance

2 Apr 2009      

borna
Croatia

Do you remember "Philadephia" with Tom Hanks? He was discriminated at work after his bosses figured out that he has AIDS, they tried to fire him on grounds of incompetency, and he sued them, and won, but he was already dead by the time of the verdict. Old movie, but effective for your topic, in my opinion, since AIDS is not a taboo any more.

Greetings,

Sasa

2 Apr 2009     

P.Hunt
Italy

Dirty Pretty Things - looks at racism and working conditions in London.
Mobbing - An Italian film that looks at harrassment at work, especially towards women.
Bread and Roses - An excellent film with Adrien Brody about racism and fighting discrimination in America, especially towards Latin Americans.
The Office - An English comedy TV series that could be useful in a fun lesson.

2 Apr 2009     

salete
Portugal

What about the film "Terra fria" I don �t know the title in English, maybe it �s "Cold Earth" with Halle Berry (??), it �s about a woman who works in a mine but is harassed by her co-workers. It �s about women being discriminated in "traditional male jobs".

2 Apr 2009     

GiBastos
Portugal

Thank you for all your replies!!!

I will look for them !!!!

Thank you very much!! Now, my problem is that I �ll have to choose which one to showWinkTongue

Sasa, I know Philadephia, it �s a very interesting film, but my students are already familiarized with it, I would like to show them a recent, or at list unkown one!

Thank you!!!!

2 Apr 2009