Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice - Plural: Pieces of Advice or Advices    

Advice - Plural: Pieces of Advice or Advices

elfelena
Russian Federation

Advice - Plural: Pieces of Advice or Advices

Dear Teachers,
I would be really glad if you answer me.
We were taught that plural form of the word advice is pieces of advice, but I see a lot of "advices" in the Net.

Is it ok/correct nowadays to say "advices"?

Thanks for your help.

4 Apr 2009      

Zora
Canada

I always considered the word as unchangeable (uncountable)... "advice"  ... a piece of advice, some advice.. BUT never some advices...

There is the verb "advise".. maybe people are confusing the singular form of this verb.. "advises" for "advices"... Stern Smile

4 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The only time I have heard/read �advices � used as a correct plural is when the meaning of �advice � is for an official notice concerning a business transaction. �Advice � in this instance is one notice where �advices � are multiple notices.

4 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

No efelena it is generally not acceptable to say advices unless it is a count noun

Advice, as an opinion, is an uncount noun therefore it remains in its singular form.

We would say �a piece of advice� when we want to give someone just one piece of advice (thus making it countable) e.g. Let me give you a piece of advice about this aspect of grammar

When we want to give more than one piece (and even just one piece) we can say �some advice� e.g. Let me give you some advice about this aspect of grammar (We don�t say �pieces of advice�)

or, if I can�t help you I would say I don�t have any advice for you.

However, an advice, such as in a notice (like Alien Boy referred to) is a count noun and therefore advices is correct e.g.  The taxation office sent you three advices regarding this matter.  In my opinion this particular usage is not common.

Cheers, Jayho

4 Apr 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, I �ve  never considered " advices" correct. It �s" pieces of advice" or " some advice."

Good luck,
Nebal

4 Apr 2009     

libertybelle
United States

If you have a lot of advice for someone - you can say:
I have some advice for you - meaning plural.

4 Apr 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

As everyone �s already said, it �s an uncountable noun, so you must say some advice, a piece of advice... but never ever advices!!!

4 Apr 2009