Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Open the TV    

Open the TV

SKteacher
Slovakia

Open the TV

Could anybody let me know whether the expression �open the TV� is correct? I found it in one ws and since I�ve never heard it I�m not sure.

Thanks a lot.

7 Apr 2009      

Nebal
Lebanon

I don �t use it. I usually say " Turn on the TV".
We �ll see others � usages.
Hugs,
Nebal

7 Apr 2009     

barbie78
Romania

The correct form of this vb is to turn on the tv and to turn off the tv. it is the same with to turn on the light / to turn off the light

7 Apr 2009     

mrmatura
Poland

You can open the TV (literally!) - i.e. the back cover of it :-)

I would say �turn on the TV � or �switch on the TV � - the same as it is with light.

7 Apr 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

We shuld use with different machine :
Turn no off
or
Switch on

7 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

A switch is the thing on the wall - as in light switch - switch on the light is okay -- turn on the light  -   is more popular

switch isn �t used very often any more - like switch on my sewing machine. 

Turn on + turn off- are  pretty well used for anything that needs an electric current which needs to be truned on or switched on

We start and engine / motor/ car. 

We light a candle  but we don �t light the lights.   Wink

7 Apr 2009     

alexcure
Poland

Hello - when I saw the heading "OPEN THE TV" - the only understanding that came up to my mind was that someone wants "to start to run a new TV station" rather than "to switch/turn a TV set off", :):):)

Have a peaceful night,
(feeling consolidation with the tragedy in Italy)
Alexandra

7 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

The repairman might open the tv - but a person - starts a (new) tv station / creates a tv station/ builds a tv station.

7 Apr 2009     

SKteacher
Slovakia

Just what I thought. Thank you all folks for your explanations. I�ll stay with switch/turn on/off.

Have a great Ester.

Natalia

7 Apr 2009     

alexcure
Poland

:)
I know eng789,  it � s just come to my head what someone might have meant by wrongly saying so.

Have a peaceful night,
(feeling consolidation with the tragedy in Italy)

Alexandra

7 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

It �s probably a wrong translation. I know in French we use the expression "open the tv" (ouvrir la t�l�) when we want to turn it on.  I know my students make a lot of that mistakes. They "open the light", "open the computer"...

7 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >