Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is is correct !???    

Is is correct !???

Maja O.
Poland

Is is correct !???

Hello everyone,
I need your help. This week I �m studying with my students the times. We are learning the words like past, to, quarter, half past and I �m giving the  examples:  6.30 It �s half past six a.m
Suddenly, one of my students says that her teacher told her that it is possible to say IT �S HALF TO SEVEN
Is it ? Frankly speaking, I have never heard the phrase like this.
Please help me, I have no idea how to explain that - or maybe I �m wrong.....

7 Apr 2009      

nandaagon
Portugal

Dear Maja

I think we only use "to" after the "Half", so whenever is Half you have to use "past". I hope I have been useful

Fernanda

7 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

She is probably thinking "It �s half seven..." my Brit friends say that instead of "half past seven"... It �s colloquial (slang) though and not correct if they are just starting out and don �t know the difference between what �s proper and what is street English.

7 Apr 2009     

shoegirl
Poland

I �ve thought that we can say: six thirty; half past six and half to seven - and all of these are correct

7 Apr 2009     

ASOSOUZA
Brazil

It �s correct o say half  to seven. I already teach it.

kisses!

7 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

have to seven -  isn �t correct. 

half past six  and six-thirty are correct  

a quarter after six and a quarter to seven are also correct.

7 Apr 2009     

marzenka
Poland

I have never heard "half to seven"... I agree with eng789

7 Apr 2009     

MartaZ
Poland

hi, I also have a question concerning telling the time:

13.55 It �s five to two - that �s obvious.

I �m not sure though about
13.58        It �s two to two               or               It �s two minutes to two?
16.03        It �s three past four         or               It �s three minutes past four?

Is the word minutes necessary here? I �d say it isn �t but I �ve recently read somewhere that it should be added...

Thanks in advance :)

Marta

7 Apr 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

You definitely can �t say half to seven!  You can say seven-thirty or half past seven, or half seven in conversation (as Zora says) but not half to.  Lx 

7 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

In some languages the time is given as "half of/to the next hour".  In your situation it was probably a case of translating directly .

8 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

mmm - half to seven is not correct but my Dutch relatives do say this - like Douglas says it must be a direct transalation

8 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >