Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > hi there.... can anybody kindly explain this to me?    

hi there.... can anybody kindly explain this to me?

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

hi there.... can anybody kindly explain this to me?

Iverson complained about his playing again on Wednesday.

I just dont why his +playing.

Thanks in advance.

9 Apr 2009      

alex1968
Greece

Hi Aleli

Hope things are well with you.  I �m getting ready for school...just today & tomorrow then 2weeks of holiday!

The verb complain takes the preposition about.
After prepositions we always use a gerund = playing

Now if we say Iverson complained about playing again on Wednesday.  without "his"

means that Iverson is referring to himself, so both the original sentence and the sentence above are correct.

If you want to say that Iverson complained about another person, then you either use the person �s name or you use an adjective pronoun to replace the name.

E.g.  Inverson  complained about John �s playing...  =  Inverson complained about his
playing.
        Inverson complained about Mary �s playing...  =  Inverson complained about her playing.. etc.

Instead of using a possessive adjective (my, your, his, her etc) you can use a direct object (me, you, him, her etc)
So, it �s also correct to say:

Inverson complained about him playing again...  The him in this sentence refers to another person & not to Inverson.

I hope that clears things a bit for youSmile

Regards from Greece,
Alexandra

9 Apr 2009     

arlissa
United States

I think another way to understand this could be to insert the word "ability"

Iverson complained about his playing "ability" again on Wednesday.

Maybe this helps make the gerund easier to understand?

9 Apr 2009     

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

Wow Alexandra you are a genious!!! You were very clear!!!

Thank you very much!!!Clap

9 Apr 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , alex1968
Greece

I agree with you �saying �
"The verb complain takes the preposition about. After prepositions we always use a gerund = playing"

But not when you say "
Now if we say Iverson complained about playing again on Wednesday.  without "his"

means that Iverson is referring to himself, so both the original sentence and the sentence above are correct.

If you want to say that Iverson complained about another person, then you either use the person �s name or you use an adjective pronoun to replace the name."

"HIS" in the two sentences refers to the same sentence; Iverson.

However, when we say ...
1 - "complained about playing" we understand that he had to play on the following Wednesday a thing that apparently he did like to do. It was not Wednesday yet at the moment of reporting.
2 - "complained about his playing � here we undersatand that he was complaining about something he already did "his way of playing/performance". Wednesday preceded the moment of reporting.

regards

9 Apr 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

To clarify things out of the mist,let �s substitute playing with another noun:
Iverson complained about the job.
This sentence is very general because there �s no clear reference to whose job Iverson complained about.
Iverson complained about his job.
A clear reference.
Hope it �s clear.
Have a good day.

9 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, it really comes down to context as to whether Iverson is complaining about his own playing or that of someone else.

Iverson complained about his playing again on Wednesday

�his � can be a reference, as reported speech, to Iverson �s complaint about his own playing. The complaint has been made more than once by Iverson.

OR

�his � could be a reference to a third male individual �s playing that Iverson has complained about on more than one occasion.

Hope that makes sense.
CHeers!

9 Apr 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi Aleli,

The possesive case pronouns are used before a noun and a gerund.
Ex.
1. Before a noun: I borrowed his book.
                                               pr  noun
2. We were surprized about his joining the club.
                                             pr gerund

So in your sentence "Iversion cpmplained about his playing again on Wednesday", Since playing is a gerund then a prossesive pronoun should preceed it.

Hope this helps too.

hugs!

9 Apr 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

rach81
I don �t agree that there should be a possessive pronoun.The sentence is correct even without a reference;but it �s clearer with a reference as Alien boy said.
Cheers

9 Apr 2009