Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > One of the drawback of this marvellous site....    

One of the drawback of this marvellous site....

source
Turkey

One of the drawback of this marvellous site....

As everybody , I �m addicted to this great site too.. Even one day that I can �t enter this site , makes me furious....Everything is perfect except one thing. That is , I �m a private teacher and I get benefit from the worksheets here. But my students � class teacher is also here I think as s/he gives the same worksheets :) So students got shocked first and then now they get bored....

11 Apr 2009      

sedefg�l
Turkey

But this has nothing to do with this site, I think..

11 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

It �s not a problem with the site it �s a personal problem that you have to try to overcome.  you need to be more creative and think of extra stuff to do with your private pupils.

The thing I hate the most as a school teacher is:   when private teachers photocopy the wss or test that school teachers prepare and then use them for their private pupils.  If a kid say I want to do the ws with my PT,  I don �t let him take it home- he has to do it in class so at least it will have writing on it.

No offence, but private teachers can be a real pain sometimes.

11 Apr 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, it makes me sad when people complain about things which are not justified like you source. But it gets worse when teachers aggress their colleagues, like you eng789. I think you don�t have the right to speak badly about private teachers. If a pupil who learns English at school has a private teacher, there must be a reason. Or he/ she is very weak and can�t follow an ordinary class and needs help (the class teacher can�t give), or the class is too weak and the parents want him/her to learn more. So please, everybody has the right to teach the way he prefers.

11 Apr 2009     

cathrine
Spain

This is a message for eng 789.
I take great offence to your comment." private teachers can be a real pain"! I too teach children privately and sometimes we can use the work you provide to tailor our classes to re- enforce the stuff you teach in class. Maybe you should try and communicate with the private teachers that offend you so much, and see if  you can work together to help the kids you have in common. I personally have seen the kids I teach improve their marks at school and often send stuff I have prepared for use at home for the teachers to use with their other students. After all we all have the same goal for these kids, dont we?

11 Apr 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning source! Good morning to you all!

I �m afraid we cannot see that particular situation as a drawback from the site! This is just a drawback to us, as users.

As a teacher, whenever I use an ESLprintable I know I take the risk of at least one of my students having already seen or done it! That �s why I always say  the source of the worksheet. If it happens, I �ll just say something like "Wow, your mom, your private teacher, whoever.... has already found out about this wonderful site, that �s great... Hmm.. We �ll have to do something about that, won �t we?! We certainly  don �t want you to do the same piece of work twice..." And in the future I �d be much more careful when choosing a worksheet for that class. And that �s it!

As to the problem brought up by eng789, I completely agree with her. I �ve seen my work, my worksheets and tests, being used by many private teachers long before I knew there was this site, which means that they used to ask the students for other teachers � work and took copies to use in the future. I really didn �t like that at all, because I put a lot of work on everything I do. Of course since I have started uploading my work here, I cannot think or feel the same. I am completely aware that once someone downloads my worksheet they can do anything they want with it, they can even say it is theirs. But I cannot complain, no one can. But this is already another issue!!!!

Have a nice day!
Hugs,
merna

11 Apr 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hello everyone, Hi source,

I don �t understand why you consider this a drawback of the site. After all your students � teacher has as much right to be here as you do. Eng789 is right. You will have to do something else to help your students. You should get in touch with the other teacher and cooperate to help the students. After all isn �t this what we are all working for? To help our students?

11 Apr 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I just want to make something very clear:

I do respect the work of private teachers very much. I respect their work as I respect all other types of work. I was a private teacher myself many, many years ago. For me, that was not the issue here. The point was about asking students � for the teacher �s workksheets and tests to use in future private lessons. Nothing more than that!

Maybe you took eng 789 �s words too literally. I �m sure she had no intention of hurting any one.

Have a nice day!
mena

11 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

1.  I never said that all private teachers are bad.

2.  A good one will call the regular teacher for advice as to what approach might be benificial 
     in helping the pupil.

3.  I have had PTs call me to ask why Joe only got 75 on his project,  because she ( the PT)
     worked very hard on it. **I almost never give project to be done at home because of PT.

4.  I �m not saying that all are bad but,    what do you say to a parent who paid the = of $25.
     for her son �s private lesson so he would get help with an assignmet or prepare for a test
     and his mark is low because the quality isn �t good(English). 

As far as I am concerned - unless it �s a good pupil who you are doing extra or advanced work with,  you should be working on the topics being taught in class.  Re-reading texts and working on vocabulary,  grammar practice and doing some pre-teaching ( reading texts that are in the next unit so that the pupil understands and will have an easier time in class.  You should never do the exercises in his text or work book, but make up your own questions in a notebook he uses only for your lessons.  It is terrible when kids says that he already did the exercise with my private teacher and shows you that his workbook. ( at a time when you expect the whole class to be working on it so that you can walk around helping the weaker pupils.)

I could go on.

11 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Barbara!

you �ve obviously had some very bad experiences with private teachers.

Personally, I wouldn�t tar everyone with the same brush - I do private teaching as well as school teaching - & I know I don�t work that way!

I try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated until I�m shown that someone is more ignorant or dishonest than I originally hoped/believed/thought.

As you can tell by the forum discussions & uploads, teachers are the same as anyone else - whether they be private or �regular� school teachers. I�ve had more serious run ins with regular teachers than private teachers because there is a more formal power structure with corresponding vested interests in the school environment. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that some of the private & �regular� teachers I�ve met actually get paid for being so hopeless, disinterested & at times, downright destructive of a student�s potential!

source - it �s not so much a problem with this site, it�s more like a problem with the integrity of humans that is not specific to gender, creed, religion or career!

That�s what this extra terrestrial thinks, anyway!

Good night!

11 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I �ve been the English coordinator of our school for the last 14 years.  The smallest amount of piupils in the studying in the school at any given time is around 740.  I �ve dealt with the private teachers of my own students as well as those of student of my staff.  I think there should be a course for private teachers where they learn how things are done in school and how to work with pupils. 

I agree with you AB 100% - there are also some really bad - regular teachers -  but the you need to remeber the person evaluating the kid is his regular teacher not the one who is making tons of  money.

11 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >