Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear NON-ESL RESOURCE. What am I supposed to do with it?    

Dear NON-ESL RESOURCE. What am I supposed to do with it?

cheezels
New Zealand

Dear NON-ESL RESOURCE. What am I supposed to do with it?

I don �t know who you are as you do not leave your name when commenting.
You have been a little hasty more than once, when if you had actually read the description given or checked all the pages of the printable you would know exactly "what to do with it".

All I know is that you left this comment on many reported printables today when all you needed to say was non ESL resource and leave it at that. Is there any need to be sarcastic? Do you mark your students work in this manner? I personally would hate to hurt any fellow teachers feeings from leaving such a blunt remark.

Maybe you meant it in the context of "This would be a great activity if you could update the description so we know how to use it or add an activity to this worksheet"... Maybe you could try using phrases like this in the future so that there is no misunderstanding and hurt feelings?

Please remember that you are checking for stolen/copied and non esl resources. Nothing more.

Kind regards

Rochelle

20 Apr 2009      

ssrl10
Spain

I agree with you. This happens once and again. Many people don�t read the comments on a worksheet and then don�t know what to do do with it and simply say that it is not an ESL resource. It does not take much effort to read the worksheet descrition and preview all sheets before reporting one.
Best wishes,
Silvia

20 Apr 2009     

ironda
Spain

Hi Rochelle,

I agree with you. I �ve seen some reported worksheets that ARE ESL RESOURCES, and I once wrote a message here in the forum to tell people to be careful. But it seems that some members don �t pay enough attention.
So here again: PLEASE, BE CAREFUL! and if you don �t are 100% sure a ws is stolen or a "non-esl resource" DO NOT report it.
thanks

Cristina

20 Apr 2009     

@riel_78
Argentina

I agree with Rochelle. One of my worksheets with cards has been removed becuase it was not considered an "esl resource" and the only message I got was "cards, not esl resource."

It �s funny because several people have downloaded this material that took me hours to design and upload. I love this website and I always thought it was all about making and sharing creative material that others could find useful when teaching.

It �s a pity there �s a group of people that make desicions about what teachers should or should not find helpful... And what makes things worse is that the message only read "do not answer this mail"- which gives me the feeling that there �s no one open to discussion, explanations or even apologies on the other side of the line. Thanks, anyway.

20 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I am quite tired of seeing this kind of thing. People are not reading the descriptions or taking a deeper look before they are reporting the worksheets and activities. I think some common sense is in order! THINK before you press the "report" button - for you could be the next victim of senseless reporting!!!!

Also, I hate the word "Stolen" why not use the word "Taken" instead????? It sounds so much nicer...

20 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Unfortuanetly it is human nature to agree with the mob - people find it very difficult to disagree with a stated opinion.  (Luckily I have never suffered from this ill fate!) 

So lets bolster people up - come on  moderators - think for yourself - Check it out for yourself!  Decide for yourself!  Don �t follow the masses - ensure you are fair to the work you are moderating

When I occasionally get around to looking at the moderated items I ask myself the following:

- do I personally know that it is stolen??  If I can �t find the stolen item I don �t vote.
- Is it an ESOL resource in the broader sense of the word? YEs - leave it alone.
- Has the person in some way told you how it could be an ESOL resource?  Yes? leave it alone

Victor now has time for zero downloads to be wiped.  Which I think is great - it shows one of two things
he really doesn �t have a life outside of this place - or the moderators are super helpful to him and have freed up some time.  Heres hoping it is the latter.

So be positive, and supportive, and ensure you are acting as moderator - not judge, jury and executioner.

And ----SCREAM!------------  I have just checked out the reported contributions - I can see how infuriating it is cheezels

- WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO DO WITH IT???  Possibly read the instructions - use a little bit of imagination!  or well - we won´t go near my other suggestion it might upset people´s sensibilities

20 Apr 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Dear all and specially Zora. I agree with you on this: " People are not reading the descriptions or taking a deeper look before they are reporting the worksheets and activities. " or even when voting. On the other hand, I have also noticed that some people change the descriptions or the activities when they see that they are reported.

Don �t take me wrong, I �m neither for nor against any of these options. I �m just trying to be objective and sensible with my comment.

20 Apr 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Generalizations are not a good way to start discussing about anything. The way you say it seems like the moderators are there to hunt everyone and delete valuable material.

If a ws is reported, it doesn �t mean it will be removed, it will happen only if most of the members who are voting agree. There are dozens of reported wss every day and everyone can report them, not only the moderators. So if they are there, it �s not our fault. It �s the uploader and the reporter �s fault. We are allowed to see them at the reported page but every member can report them, so it doesn �t mean the moderators are doing it.

As a moderator I make sure that before voting wss reported as stolen I check the site or the profile where the original is and I �m sure the others do the same. I saw today many wss reported as stolen but most of the moderators didn �t accept and voted "shouldn �t be removed" because if you accuse someone of stealing someone else �s work you have to provide the original ws link; if you report a ws as doubled uploaded you have to provide the other links or report both, so the moderators can see what was uploaded first; if you report a ws as not being esl resource we go there to see if the accusation is correct.

Victor provided several examples of what is allowed or not and we follow his instructions as a guide. We don �t invent the rules, we only try to make them work. If you don �t accept the new rules, it �s not our fault, we �re only doing our part of the job.

Are there mistakes? Sure, because we are humans and nothing is perfect. I still lament I hadn �t seen 2 or 3 reported wss that were removed at the end. I feel that I could have defended them but unfortunately I didn �t. I am not here all the day and sometimes we have some information about a ws or a member that can be useful when deciding if they should stay or go. The lack of information can lead us to errors. I regret not seeing pika �s ws because I knew it wasn �t stolen but I hadn �t had the chance to vote before it was removed.

I don �t know what �s the difference about using the word "stolen" or "taken" if you are sure about it, and if the owner reports a stolen / fake / taken or whatever ws, s/he certainly is sure. The bad part is not the word we use, the worst part of it is to see teachers uploading empty files, or just one sentence, or a pic clearly scanned, in order to get points and download work made with love, care and several hours of effort. I can �t understand how people who should dedicate their lives to help the youngster develop their personalities and charater can act like that. How can a teacher cheat? How can s/he do it against their coleagues that are working hard to share their best pieces of work?

That �s the sad part. About the errors, unfortunately they will happen because as I mentioned before, we are human. If it hurts being accused it also hurts having hard work being stolen or  blatantly copied. There are some members who work hard to make this site what it is. They work preparing amazing wss and trying to do their best. People used their work for a long time and because of this they have thousands of points and have the right to decide if a work belongs or not in the site.

There are few members that are not satisfied and are always complaining. If everyone stops complaining and starts working, everyone can be a judge in the future and the work won �t be that hard. We all want the best for the site and if the changes are only annoying for you, for the others it �s annoying and tiring, disappointing, and other things I won �t mention but you can figure out if you think about.

I admire most of the wss I see here and try to imitate and learn with the artists and genius we have here. I �m learning and I have to thank everyone because my classes got much better since I have started downloading your work. I prefer to imagine that all members think the same and stop accusing each other, because it takes us nowhere. We have to think about all the members and not only about ourselves. Maybe what �s the best thing for the majority isn �t good for ourselves. We have to dream about this wonderful site without scanned or stolen wss in the future and a comunity working together to promote the students � learning and to help each other. It can be true in a close future, the sickness will be cured if we accept the treatment.

20 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Zalida,

I think that people are right to speak out against rude comments being left by a few moderators. 

If that is what some students receive from their teachers as comments - ye gads!  that would be sad.

Moderators are doing a good job - just remember - there are people with feelings receiving your comments.

20 Apr 2009     

zailda
Brazil

The rules are the objective point we have to focus in,  and the other people �s feelings are the subjective point we won �t ever know when we will hurt. People are not the same, we are all different and what hurts me is not the same thing that hurts you.

What the members have to understand is that there �s nothing personal on the comments or the reported wss. When we comment something it �s more among us than to the member. What you receive is the transcription of a crazy conversation because one person starts it and the others go ahead with, Victor ends the "conversation" deleting or not, according to the moderators "crazy" conversation.

Sometimes we clearly see that the moderators are "talking" to each other over the reported wss. They ask: "Is this scanned?" and the other one says: "if you �re not sure, don �t report it." and a third one continues the conversation., and so on...

I know that it hurts but some people are extremely sensitive, don �t stand being objectively analized. In fact we are not analyzing the person but only the result of his/her work. And we analyse only what we can see, we can �t guess the person �s intentions when s/he posted a ws here. So people have to be clear and explain how to use a ws because among dozens, if we don �t have a clue about it, we �ll consider it useless.

One member even made a remark about me asking Victor to remove a person �s profile because s/he only has doubled, scanned and copied material. I am not trying to create a rule, since it is clearly stated by Victor that if you use non-esl, scanned, or copied material your profile will be removed. It �s his rule, not mine. If a person keeps doing things against the rules and never does the right thing, we have to deduce s/he doesn �t belong in here and it will be a time-saver removing those members.

As I said before, the medicine is hard to swallow sometimes, but it will promote the cure if taken correctly.

20 Apr 2009     

Denis1234
United Kingdom

As a newcomer to this site and as I am unable as yet (as is evident from my profile ,due to my travels) to upload, I have been a little upset by some of what I have read here. �Some of the comments left by "Moderators" have been less than moderate to say the least. I have noiticed that some moderators have revealed their identities in various posts...and that is nice. �One has to admire them for doing that....but I do not think that it is very helpful (if this system is to work) for anyone to remain "faceless" if one is going to leave harsh remarks about a colleagues work, whether it is copied or otherwise. It can be commented on without being nasty. �It could be especially hurtful if (due to an error) it might cause someone who has been contributing so much wonderful material to leave this community.
DonalThumbs Up

Be nice �and smile!Smile

21 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >