Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > One man ´s trash is another man ´s treasure.    

One man ´s trash is another man ´s treasure.

eng789
Israel

One man ´s trash is another man ´s treasure.

Maybe there should be a list of wss " to be removed the next day "to give us a chance to see them before they are deleted and maybe download some before they disappear from the site completely.

Who knows, maybe some of them are just what I need.

23 Apr 2009      

roneydirt
United States

Better a week notice...  sometimes most people lack the time to check right away, gives them time to look what is going on in the following months to see what they will need...

23 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Trying to answer to both  posts about this subject, I checked Portuguese members; we have 483 pages, each page has 10 teachers. We are 4830 members. There are 342 pages with 0 points, so, there 3420 people with 0 points.
My God, what can we call this? This web could have room enough. In fact it looks like that many people here, for some reason, stopped being interested in the site; they may have their reasons, obviously, but it is a pity, if this fact disturbs things here. Anyway, if Victor was not aware of this fact, he certainly now can do something if he thinks it is wise.
Your idea seems very good, Barb. It is difficult to have a look everyday at all the reports. I never stop at blank or corrupt sheets, it is so obvious that they have to be deleted, that i jump ahead. Fortunately, for the great majority I have doubts what to say, so, again, jump ahead and leave this difficult job for someone with more information. Even so I have very little time, some now and then I scroll the list and if something catches my eye I write something.

23 Apr 2009     

alex1968
Greece

Hi everyone!

I just came back from coffee with friends (Greeks take very long to drink coffee-it ´s at least a 2hour affair!!!) to find a lot of interesting things happening...

I think Barabara has a good point.  But  like Silke says, it depends on Victor.  Would it be possible to have a  "a list of wss " to be removed the next day "?

Would it be available to all users as part of their 30 free points, or would it be extra points taken off their total?

Let ´s not forget that the site says that if ws aren ´t download within a month then they are to be deleted, so I don ´t think we can complain if our ws has 0 downloads & is removed after a month.

I also like Zora ´s idea of adding the ws with only 1download to this list of 0 downloads "to be removed the next day" list if it materializes.

Let ´s not forget that we have a problem with space...

The sun is out!!! Hooray!
I ´m off on holiday again (leaving in the wee hours tomorrow morning) & will abandon my pc until Monday!!!

hope all of you Have a Nice Day Bear

Alex

23 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

On the whole I think the moderators are doing a good job.  Once people settle down and realise what is being asked of them I think most concerns will disappear (i hope!)

23 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

It ´s my mistake for not being clear enough, I  agree 100% that the copied or stolen wss should be deleted right away

I ´m talking about the ones that have 0 points that might still be of use to someone -  maybe give us a chance to see them before they get deleted.

Sorry, if you misunderstood.

23 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It is a nice idea... but why stop at 1 or 0 downloads. I bet if ´we � had a quick look there would also be a valid argument for any worksheet with less than 10 downloads.... (but where is the ine to be drawn?)

In theory it ´s a good idea.

It should be fairly simple to do - if Victor has the time & inclination.

I agree - the ´power members � (I hesitate to call them moderators because they don ´t have the authority to moderate the discussion forum) are doing a marvellous job vetting the reports. It must be a relief for Victor.

Cheers,
AB

23 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I like Barb ´s idea, it would unload the system of old worksheets, rotate older stuff that never got downloaded for whatever reason AND maybe make people take notice of little gems that were simply forgotten (I know I have downloaded worksheets and been the only one to it and that particular ws is wonderful but because it isn ´t pretty or simply not useful to a lot of teachers, it gets lost or forgotten about...) In fact, I think it should be 1 as well as 0 downloads!!

Also, roneydirt you should realise that that this would be old stuff that is hidden away for the last year or two, not just new stuff so I think a one day notice is fair because we always have stuff coming in that doesn ´t get downloaded for whatever reason and keeping it on hand, or in a special section would, I think, just clog the site even more...

PS: I reposted because all the new posts are going behind Silke´s for some odd reason.... and I was seeing why or if it was still doing it...

23 Apr 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi guys,

Barb ´s idea is good. There are some good Ws with 0 downloads that are going to be wasted (or uploaded again, I suggest!) whereas (we must admit that!!!)  there are a lot of 1 point Ws that cannot be removed because they have already been downloaded, they are esl resource, but they lack the quality of the above mentioned 0 points Ws.

I also agree with alex1968 and Zora ´s idea of adding the ws with only 1 download to this "to be removed the next day" list.

I also agree with Barb (eng789) about the huge number of users who have opened an account ages ago but still have 0 points and no uploads. These accounts should be cancelled (let ´s say 3 months after opening in case the member is still inactive).

Even if Barb idea is going to remain an idea (due to technical problems) this site is surely going to get bigger and healthier day by day. The moderators are doing a great job. It is a tiring ´job � and sometimes we make mistakes (we are humans, after all), but I know that behind the ´to be removed � phrase there is a lot of good will and dedication: we must keep this site working! We are very fortunate to have found such a treasure as ESLprintables! Of course, there are and will be pirates... It ´s up to us to keep and cherrish this treasure!

Take care,
Gabitza

23 Apr 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

I agree with eng789 once again. First about users with 0 points and 0 contributions and I also agree with her and Zora, and Alex1968 and the idea of adding the ws with only 1 download to that list.
I don ´t know if Victor would agree and if so, if technically it ´s possible but it ´s a good way of keeping the site ´clean �.

Let ´s wait for Victor ´s opinion.

Huge hugs, dear teachers!!!! I ´m off to work!!!!!!

Mar

23 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I think Mar ´s thoughts reflect mine pretty well:
     --delete users with 0 points and 0 contributions after 3 months
     --start a "to be removed tomorrow" category for 0 and 1 download WSs

Questions to consider:
  --will downloads of "to be removed" WSs be free?
  --If they are downloaded, will they no longer be removed?
  --How do owners get/keep their points on these WSs?

Other concerns:
  --If we are adding "1 downlod WSs" to the category, does this indicate that WSs will be removed after 30 days if they have 1 or less downloads?

My thoughts to these things:
 --let "to be removed WSs" be free to all for 24 hours
 --these worksheets should not give points to owners and be removed after 24 hours regardless if they are downloaded or not
  --I would like to see WSs downloaded only once be removed after 90 days (but let the owner keep the point if possible).

My thoughts...

23 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >