Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I īm loosing my voice    

I īm loosing my voice

LittleSunshine11
Germany

I īm loosing my voice

Dear teachers,

I joined this site a couple of weeks ago and I īm addicted already Clap
I appreciate all your great work!!! Thanks everyone!

I also enjoy reading the forum and now I have to post a question myself. I īve been teaching since three years, mostly 2-3 hours twice a week. I īve started a fulltime teaching job recently *Jippi* and I īm very excited about this, it īs working out fine with the school and the students BUT I have to talk a lot more, my students are beginners, and the classes take 6-7 hours a day. My voice hasn īt gotten used to this much work yet and I wanted to ask for your advice and experience.

How do you keep your voice from becoming all scratchy in the afternoon??? Any special tea or exercises or....... My students have been very understanding so far but I have to do something about this, I can īt keep loosing my voice in class.

Your ideas will be highly appreciated! THANKS AGAIN! Have a lovely weekend!

25 Apr 2009      

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

HI, HOW ARE YOU?

YOU SHOULD PROMOTE  AND USE MORE ACTIVITIES WHICH YOUR STUDENTS SPEAK MORE AND YOU CARE YOUR VOICE!

25 Apr 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Theoretically the experts say that students must speak for at least 60% of the lesson. This is particularly important with beginners as they cannot absorb too much at once.

My suggestion is that you do a lot of pair or groupwork. I even do my written exercises in pairs so that they have to make choices and justify their answers to each other. This works well with multiple choice.
Dialogues, tongue twisters, find someone who, single question surveys are all good for getting students to talk.

By single question surveys I mean one student will ask the same question to everyone in the class so that they get the repetition in a meaningful way. They then write a report.
eg Student 1 asks: What did you have for dinner last night?
Report is: Six students ate rice last night. 4 students ate fish last night. No students ate broccoli last night.

I hope this is useful.

25 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

While all those previous answers are the obvious ones... it doesn īt help much because sometimes you can īt "talk" less.

I used to have the same problem as you. In fact, I got laryngitis two years in a row when I started out and last year I got it too. I am guessing that you are a soft spoken person and your vocal cords aren īt used to so much "work"... e.i. explaining and also raising your voice up over it īs normal pitch so you can be heard at the "back of the class".

I chew gum, suck candies - anything to keep my throat moist. Vocal or singing exercises, I am guessing could help since it strengthens the vocal chords. Also, time does the same thing but it īs a longer process!! LOL

Oh, try not to "scream" ... bad for the voice, if you need to get a rowdy class to calm down turn off the lights or bang loudly on the table with a yard stick... first time I did that scared the poop out of them!! Wink

Hope that helps a bit.

Linda

Oh. quick edit...I forgot - my doctor told me when I lost my voice that gargling with warm salt water is also good.

25 Apr 2009     

mjotab
Spain

You can also buy a voice amplifier. I use one that I bought through Amazon web page. It is a device you wear attached to a belt, and you talk through a micro (like a telephone operator or similar). I love it, because I had a lot of problems before. I would copy the link to the amplifier here, but it may be seen as an  an advertisment.

25 Apr 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Ok - you īre losing your voice and not loosing it - thank goodness!
I try and speak so quietly, that the kids have to be quiet to hear.
Write instructions on paper or write them on the blackboard so you only
have to talk them through the finer points.
Learn to support by using your abdomen. (you can read about support on the net)
Lift your voice to a higher register, don īt growl or speak close to your vocal cords.
(that means don īt speak in a low voice but in a higher-pitched voice placement)
Don īt ever whisper - that is so hard on the vocal cords
Don īt yell, either.
If you have to raise your voice - pancake the sound and make it shrill, not louder.
A shrill voice can cut through cement - a loud groggy voice sounds muddled and just gets lost in the classroom noise.
Make sure you make assignments that gets the kids talking.
They are less shy if you pair them off two and two and they speak together.
Let them read aloud in class, not you.
If you still have problems - you might want to go to a speech therapist.
Hope some of this helps.
I have been teaching singing for 25 years and these are some of the methods we use for building the voice and not straining it.
and last but not least, stay out of drafts or wear a scarf around your neck if it is cold.
L

25 Apr 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

In fact there is a tea that may improve you voice and care for your vocal cords. There is even a Portuguese singer that drinks this tea all time with meals etc. It is made of these small violet flowers, unfortunately I don īt know the name in English... Confused
I can only tell you the scientific name: Gomphrena globosa.

Perpétuas roxas

25 Apr 2009     

Roclam
Italy

I use an amplifier too. I bought it from a music shop, it īs meant for singers. You wear the microphone on your head and you have a little "box" you hang to your belt (you might have seen something similar on tv). This is connected to another device and to a big loudspeaker I place on my desk.
It īs quite expensive, but it īs the best investment I īve ever made on my health. I teach in a very noisy place, there īs a lot of traffic outside, and I used to shout for hours and go home exhausted. Now I haven īt had a sore throat in 4 years and I couldn īt teach without!

25 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I use "Ricola" the all-natural Swiss herb candies--they tend to help.  Also, keep your throat wet (water is better than soda).

Douglas

25 Apr 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

I have no specific tip for you, but add my voice to Bill2joy:
Whether we like it or now, it is the students who are supposed to do most of the speaking
Google "the silent method" and you will see it is always possible for us teachers to speak less
Take care�

30 Apr 2009