Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > is it right?     

is it right?

bird1
Turkey

is it right?

Hi friends,

I �d like to have your opinions.
Will you accept this answer correct in a written exam for this question? By the way it is an exam for 10 years old students.

_ Did she read the book?

- Yes, she did read the book.

Gramatically, if we want to emphasize that she read the book, we use it. But I didn �t tell  it before the exam. I just  taught them how we form the past tense. But one of my collegue insist that even if a student gets the answer right unconsiously, we should mark it right.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance...Heart

5 May 2009      

ssrl10
Spain

I would not mark it as right. It depends on whether you have taught them about it or not and ,as you say you haven�t, so it should not be accepted.

5 May 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, I would mark it as right even if the student did it  unconsiously  because how can we mark it as wrong when there is a possibility to say it that way.

5 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I would say mark it right and commend them on using a more complex structure.  We often cut the sentence short by say "Yes, she did." but we know it fully means "Yes, she did get it right." I would not have a problem with it.

5 May 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

I would give him half a point...

5 May 2009     

Agniuke
Lithuania

I think you should give him a point - who knows, maybe he did it not unconsiously? Embarrassed Also, there is no grammar error...

5 May 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

I agree with ssrl10, I wouldn �t mark it as right if I didn �t mention that the possibility existed.

5 May 2009     

Giselle del Val
Argentina

I would consider it wrong as it may be even more confusing at this stage of learning.

5 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

For me it would depend on what your instructions said. If it was just to answer the question, then the student did answer the question correctly. You should not punish him/her for knowing more than what was taught. But if your instructions specifically said "answer using simple past tense" or something like that, then the answer did not follow the directions. Ultimately, you want your students to know correct English grammar--and they showed you that they do.

5 May 2009     

nejar
Peru

I would mark him right, but I would make an observation about what I expected from him and confirm in what circumstances this is correct. Finally what we want from our students is to learn. I am sure he will remember this special use in the future.

5 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that answer.

5 May 2009     

1    2    Next >