Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Having students to talk / practicing conversation    

Having students to talk / practicing conversation

wensoriano
El Salvador

Having students to talk / practicing conversation

Hi, everybody, since I�m teaching not in an English academy but in a technological school
and English is not what students like the most as thier subject however they have to learn
it because is in thier career Pensum, so I face the problem of having they talk, this is an idea I came with.

From their textbook and workbook I ask them to write as many question they want and find
with a minumun of 10 questions, so they don�t need to think so much, then after that I place
them standing in front of each other in two rows so they can  start asking the questions they wrote and memorized. ( wh-question or yes - no questions ), I give them a minimun of three minutes to interact ( questions
and answers ) then I ask them to move one space among them so they can have another
opportunity to interact with another student until everybody have a change to participate, another
idea is to make two circles ( an inner circle and the other one facing it ) moving one space at a time.

This exercise can be done at any level. What I do is that  I teach several units/lessons and at a certain
period of time I use this drill, It has worked with my students as they are losing their fear to talk.

( The drill is not to read but to speak, so they have to read, memorize and speak and wait form an answer )

If you are doing the same I do, then I think I�m doing the right thing but if you are not, why don�t
you give it a try as you have nothing to lose but to win your students confidence about English
speaking learning. Greetings ( SALUDOS A TODOS  DESDE EL SALVADOR IN CENTRAL AMERICA) to all of you.
Wens.

15 Oct 2008