Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > OF or IN    

OF or IN

Noelica
Spain

OF or IN

Hello again!!!

Which sentence is correct?:

1. Pictures are put in a big poster on the wall OF the classroom?

2. Pictures are put in a big poster on the wall IN the classroom?

Thanks!!!

7 May 2009      

wilwarin32
Argentina

How about "classroom wall"? (I �m not that sure now that I think about it...)

7 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

Do you need present or past tense?

Present tense: Pictures are put on a poster on a wall in the classroom.

Past tense: Pictures were put on a poster on a wall in the classroom.

Present continuous: Everyday I put pictures on a poster on a wall of the classroom.

Since a classroom has more than one wall, I would use "a wall."

I hope this helps.

Carla

7 May 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Noelica asked the question which of the sentences are correct.  A direct answer to this question is that BOTH are perfectly acceptable, BOTH have the same meaning.  The wonderful thing about English is that there are usually many ways of saying the same thing and the choice of word in this context is more a matter of style than of meaning..

hornec, I would like to correct your example of the present continuous.  If you want to use the same verb �put � this is a bad example as this verb is rarely used in the the continuous tense - "Everyday I am putting pictures on a poster on a wall of the classroom" sounds extremely strange to me.

7 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Present continuous: Everyday I put pictures on a poster on a wall of the classroom.
This is simple present tense.  Present progressive/continuous requires being+verb+ing.  I agree with Logos, "Everyday I am putting pictures on a poster..." is awkward.  Furthermore, it as an ongoing thing and therefore requires simple present tense.

7 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Change the position of "Everyday" and it sounds a bit better.

Eg:

I am putting pictures on a poster everyday.

Now, I know it usually makes no difference where the adverbs go.. but here, for some reason, and at least to me, it sounds better at the end.

7 May 2009