Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > DOWNLOADING    

DOWNLOADING

crijus13
Spain

DOWNLOADING

I just wrote to tell those people whose ws are NOT  being downloaded not to be sad, as I have appreciated that people generally download the same kind of ws, without taking into account others that seem no t to work on grammar exclusively.
Don�t be sad, that �s the way life goes................

what do you think?

Bye

7 May 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

I wonder whether people make ws for the SITE or for their STUDENTS and upload them here, you know, by the way ...
Judging by the reactions and statements and very often childish behaviour of some members, it seems that they do the former. It seems that the points are interpreted to mean "this is how much you are worth", which is total nonsense and disillusionment.
The only criteria that should be of importance to you (people) should be the STUDENTS � reaction to your ws, or to your way of teaching, or to the activity you came up with, or a game, or ... What more could a teacher ask for but the students � disappointing "awwww" when the bell has signalled the end of the class?!? What more, i ask (all of) you?!? Hug

7 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

POINTS POINTS POINTS!!!! Oh, and the students too. :)

7 May 2009     

douglas
United States

I mostly agree with you Ivona, but for one thing.  Once in a while I get an idea for a worksheet and get very excited about it and just "know" it could be very useful, but it isn �t something I can use with my current students.  I may go ahead and make the worksheet just for the joy of creating it.  If I decide to post it here, I am definately excited to hear if it was successful or not--just like I am when I try something new on  my own students.

However, the whining about points really gets quite ridiculous--I don �t think I have ever downloaded a full 30 worksheets in a single day.

Douglas

7 May 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Personally I was motivated by a teacher who said in the forum that didn �t have enough books to teach his/her children, so he/she found this site useful for him/her. (sorry but I don �t remember the person �s name)
My first uploads wasre some worksheets I have already used in my classes. After that I started preparing worksheets for the site and for those who needed them. I think they were useful up to now. And I have to say that I was from those that their work was appreciated from the beggining so I became premium member quite fast.
Of course everything I did here was with the thought that your students could use my worksheets effectively.

7 May 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Dear Douglas,
To tell you the truth I �ve downloaded many times up to 30 downloads and more .....
I do that when I see interesting worksheets, well prepared and with a very effective layout.
I want to have many options and extra activities for every grammatical phenomenon or readings or ... everything. It �s not about the points. Many times though I have downloaded only half of my free points and found some past worksheets that I also liked or needed.
Have a nice day!

7 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

DOUG: I mostly agree with you Ivona, but ...

IVONA: But! Ha! Do you ever fully agree with anyone on anything? Smile

DOUG: Hahaha, you �re so funny. Though some may find you caustic. Anyway, o
nce in a while I get an idea for a worksheet ... If I decide to post it here, I am definitely excited to hear if it was successful or not--just like I am when I try something new on  my own students."

IVONA: Ok, let me ask you a few Qs. I love Qs. Approve Did it happen to you, that you uploaded an idea you had? And how did you �hear � if the idea went well with someone �s students? Did the points voice it, or did you hear from the people in a pm or through the (rarely left) comments? Does a �thank you � say much of the value of the w-sheet? Or does it just give you the name of the person who left a point? Do you think that the points are really relevant? Would your initial excitement to share flip to utter disappointment because
NO one appreciated it! And you
- thought you had something original and useful
- spent hours and hours preparing it,
- found good pics that would illustrate your ws and at the same time not exceed the size limit
and �?
Huh? Huh? Smile

7 May 2009     

douglas
United States

: )Smile ;)
The number of downloads help me gauge whether or not other teachers find the idea interesting as well.  The comments (about 6-8% of them) give me a hint as to whether the topic or design may be useful or not.

I rarely "spend hours" making worksheets like this.  The ones that take a long time are sometimes those that I know I need so I "have" to make them.  The "muse" generated ones, usually go pretty fast.

Points don �t mater at all--I have never downloaded 30 worksheets in one day and I have plenty for when I want older worksheets.

And last of all:

If I get LOTS of downloads from all over the world, it strokes my ego (which does motivate)and makes me feel like I may be making a little difference in the world, and then I become:

THE KING OF THE WORLD!! 

7 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

DOUG: The number of downloads ...
IVONA: Ahhhh, Douglas! Just when i was going to take my 40 winks ... Ok, i �m listening.
DOUG: You �re very rude to interrupt me like that, dear Ivona. The number of downloads ...
IVONA: (hmmm, first he says i �m rude, and then he calls me �dear �. what an oxymoron. but i �ve seen it used so many times Ermm)
DOUG: ...
other teachers find the idea interesting as well. Are you listening?
IVONA: Yes, yes! Very intentively. To me, the number of downloads X (times) the number of students (on average) per teacher = (is) the number of SS that will have happy faces just like mine when i did the uploaded activity. I �m talking about the students that go �awwww �. And the comments, they just tell me who are the Ts that will make their SS go awwww.
DOUG:
I rarely "spend hours" making worksheets like this.
IVONA: Doug, Doug. Come closer. (whispers) That was just a hidden giving-out to those who think their ws should be downloaded and rewarded because they spent so much time doing them.
Yeah, i sound cruel, but ...
DOUG: Ivona, you �d better not say it in public, or they �ll hate you.
IVONA: Ahhh, but that �s me. Take it, or leave it. Anyway, I think ...
DOUG: But why would you want people to hate you?
IVONA: Now who �s being rude?
DOUG: Sorry, you were saying?
IVONA: About that ego thing ... (yawn) Now, i �m really wrecked. We �ll chat about that over a cup of coffee later. K?
DOUG: But .. but...!

7 May 2009     

freddie
Canada

Dear Ivona and Hi everyone Smile

Of course you are right, it �s the students that really count. But if folks give too much value to the points we get here, don �t you think that says something about the TOTAL lack of positive, constructive, genuine feedback from our peers for our work. I agree with you that when my adult students stay after class to thank me or seeing them succeed etc is rewarding and I feel all I give is so worth it. But getting meaningful feedback from our peers or supervisors is more difficult to come by. As a teacher trainer who does observations, the terror in some teachers eyes tells me how uncertain they are and it breaks my heart. After I have completed the observation cycle, I am proud to say almost all of them are walking on cloud 9, proud and re-motivated. This is simply because they dont get enough feedback from peers. I think that �s what can motivate us to focus on points here. Though I agree with Douglas, sometimes the sheer joy of creating something just cause you want to is fun too. 

Just a thought Smile

7 May 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi everyone,
Ivona I couldn �t agree with you more. I create only for my students- which is the reason I don �t uploaded very much- the Greek State curriculum says we have to use our textbooks, too. I have never created anything for this wonderful site alone. I don �t care about points. Some of you know this as I have sent many of my ws to new members.  Of course I understand nkappa �s and Douglas � point of view.  For me although it �s students that matter most. Although as Freddie says the joy of creating something pleasing does  take over at times.

7 May 2009