Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS    

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS

borna
Croatia

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS

Alien boy,

you speak (write) so wisely! Thanks for replying.
If could all be a little bit self-critical, that would make this place so much better!
I have wss that have been downloaded over hunderd times, and I have wss that were downloaded only 2 times. I usually keep the latter for a while, but them I remove them and keep only for personal use on my PC.
I wouldn´t call people with many points megastars, I think they have just been here longer than you, that´s all - it doesn´t mean their wss are better than yours.

I wanted to remove the first post to free some space on the forum!

Sasa

9 May 2009      

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear Sasa

As far as I can see the pictures in wss have a frame but aren �t uploaded as a set.
The other examples are are copied and pasted clip art.
Your wss would have been considered flash cards if they had been uploaded in one file as a set. I do understand the problem with the size of the pictures. Maybe you could download some of the wonderful and useful tutorials made by some of our members.

It �s a shame that your wss were out of revenge and not out of reinforcing the rules of the site. Unfortunately some people here (just very few) are vindictive and unprofesional.

Please dear Sasa try to forget this incident eventhough it can make you sad and angry.

Have a lovely weekend.

Tisha

PS I refuse to write my name on the reported messages because what you experienced has happened to me before.I really don �t feel like getting nasty messages.

9 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

First thing - �a set � doesn �t have to be in one document, it can be across several... & this is according to Victor �s statement about flashcards:

As I said before, A single flashcard would not be acceptable, but a set of flashcards (in a single document or a series of documents) would be OK.  We all understand that flashcards are esl resources. Don �t we?

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6803

Next thing to consider is whether the images are your own or straight from a clip art set or other resource that is also generally available.

& then the final thing to consider is whether or not you have included an activity to use the flash cards with!

If you have all these bases covered then your cards should not be deleted.

That �s just my opinion, anyway...

p.s. why do people insist on �one document = 1 set of flashcards�? It all depends on what you have included in the set & how well you can manipulate the image size & still keep them useful!

9 May 2009     

borna
Croatia

Dear Tisha and alienboy,

thanks for your reply. I �ve already deleted my food flashcards, I �ll try to put them in one file and upload again tomorrow or later today. I have nothing against the rules, and the report didn �t make me sad not angry, the person had a point, but no courage to sign his/her name. I think it is silly to be so full of negative emotions over these things.
I completely forgot about my own flashcards. I will not delete the kitchen verbs flashcards unless Victor or other members vote for their removal.

Sasa

9 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I highly recommend reading that whole discussion thread to all members - it occurred as a result of a set (in one document) of Victor�s Halloween Masks being reported.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6803

Silke raised some good points & Victor also put a well reasoned statement in. It may help with determining what can & should not be considered an ESL Resource that is valid for the site. It was also good to know that the owner of the site also believes that every member should be treated equally with regard to judging the appropriateness of items for this site.

It�s a shame none of us �plebeians� can actually see the examples that are available for the �moderators�. I�d love to see them near the reporting box on the download page... it might reduce the amount of frivolous &/or erroneous reporting that happens.

I think roneydirt commented that the voting system seemed like �judgement without representation�... I�d love to see a little more transparency in the system for all the non voting members too. After all, we can & do report uploads. It would also be great to find out how many votes were cast (not necessarily for or against) in the deletion notice received. That may help negate the desire for names on comments & allow for anonymity for those moderators who wish to retain it. It may also ease some of the anger... maybe.

9 May 2009     

borna
Croatia

Again, thank you alien boy, well said!
I personally think anyone who reports or comments anybody �s work should sign their name after their comment, it �s the only fair thing to do.
I agree that this place is getting crowded, and as Victor said, we have a limited space. Hence, I vote for removal of pages with copy and pasted frames, borders, or any other cute pictures and colouring pages!
I have also suggested the following: why don �t we all remove our worksheets that got only several points ( for example less then), to free some space for new stuff. I already removed some of my worksheets that got only 1, 2 or 3 points. I think only the best stuff should remain here, and by the best I mean the worksheets that were downloaded the most.
What do you think about that?

Sasa

9 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

�Best� is quite subjective.... for example I have 1 game which was very successful in class for me (& for another member who contacted me), but it �s only had 8 or 9 downloads. Anyone else doing lower level English classes looking at the same movie may well find it very useful. As a game concept it�s also a little different to the other games I�ve seen on this site, so I feel it�s a worthwhile thing to leave on the server. There are a couple of others I will be removing as I submit new uploads over the next few weeks.... The same thing applies to my �Kookaburra Song� upload. It could be that I should have put the �pretty pictures� as the first preview page... but I felt better keeping things in what was a logical order to me. So....

Then there�s also the question... what should be the minimum no of downloads an item requires & how long does an upload have to reach that number?

I feel that using the no of downloads is a little inconsistent with Victor �s aim of sharing our work. I do agree that self regulation of uploads is also important. Not just for the lowly members like me but also the �megastars in the firmament� who may have uploaded something better on the same subject as one of their old worksheets. But I �m not here to judge the quality of work (I�m just critical of the application of the rules & �equity for all�)

It�s good to discuss these things though!

P.S. my intention was not to advertise my worksheets because I really am not interested in that sort of thing... I just felt better using my own work as an example so that no one else thinks I am targeting them. My apologies to any one I�ve been a little rough on in the past.

9 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Tisha
I understand you when you say you chose not to put your name anymore when you report. I debated doing the same thing before deciding I would not be bullied. I stand by me comments. I vote according to the rule and when I �m not sure, I just don �t vote.

9 May 2009