Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does a teacher have to know the whole vocabulary in dictionary? Or how many?    

Does a teacher have to know the whole vocabulary in dictionary? Or how many?

rmouh
Morocco

You may become crazy if you know all the words in a dictionary!!! But he/she has to know more than what students know.

15 May 2009     

feyzauygur
Turkey

I think all teachers have  the same problem everywhere, in fact it �s  not a problem .I sometimes tell them I �M NOT OXFORD DICTIONARY , and don �t have to know all words but I can guess the meaning of the words as  I know some Latin and am good at stem, suffix.b prefix .

15 May 2009     

wolfy
Chile

no a teacher does not have to know all the owrds in the dictionary but a teacher has to know how to find them out quickly.

16 May 2009     

Jayho
Australia

My reference dictionary has 200,000 words.  Other dictionaries have much more, as much as 750,000

The average person has a vocabulary between 10,000 and 20,000 words - it would be humanly impossible to know every single word.

Our students need to know about 4,000 words to be able to naturally converse with native speakers.

My strategy - we break it down to root and affix, predict the meaning (in the context) then look it up in the dictionary.  We do this even when I know the word because I want them to use these skills themselves.

16 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2