Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Pictures, Cliparts, backgrounds, templates.    

Pictures, Cliparts, backgrounds, templates.

arielmlee
Malaysia

Pictures, Cliparts, backgrounds, templates.

Hi, I am pretty new here, and this is my first forum. First off, I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful WS and PPT. They �ve broaden my horizons and pushing me to do more attractive and interesting ws n ppt.

But I do have a question. It might be a silly one but do enlighten me. There are many pictures, cliparts, backgrounds and templates on worksheets and ppts in this ESL community. Let �s say, there are some pictures I like in one of the worksheet I have uploaded, can I use the same pictures to build other interesting worksheets or presentations? I didn �t do it so don �t check my ws hehe...just wondering. BEcause I love the pictures but I have other ideas which can make full use of the pictures too. I am also trying to buy a CD filled with new cliparts to design my ws and ppt. But i have to search for it. So it might take a while. Thanks for everything.

17 May 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Ariel!

TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF ESL PRINTABLES!

Now the answer to your question: Yes and No!

Yes, because from the moment we upload a worksheet or a powerpoint, we are aware that any user can do whatever he/she wants with it. We see everyday people uploading other people �s worksheets as their own work.  So, if you want to take pictures from other users � worksheets, templates, or copy the layout, the style of a member, no one can stop you, for whereas there is a rule for stolen work, there isn �t any for these specific cases, and there couldn �t be for logic reasons.

No, because it �s a question of principles. The fact that it �s technically possible to take someone �s work and upload it as your own doesn �t make it right, does it? If you see a beautiful set of pictures in a worksheet and copy them all to make your own worksheet, probably on the same topic as in  the original, that doesn �t sound right either, does it? But, for example, if you take a single, normal picture that you could easily find in Google (not from a site in which you have to pay for them), I don �t think anyone will see any harm in it. If you like someone �s style and copy it literally, no adaptation at all, again, there is no rule against it. But  that isn �t right, is it? The same for templates. You can use someone �s template once, but shouldn �t you be trying to find your own templates? In any case, it �s always polite to privatemessage the member you want to borrow something from and ask for his/her permission first.

Have a nice day and once again welcome to this wonderful  community.
 mena

17 May 2009